[Imc] 4 o J parade

Brian Hagy bhagy at urbana.indymedia.org
Sat Jun 29 21:36:17 UTC 2002

the parade is coming up.  the IMC has a spot reserved (nearby the AWARE
spot).  there is an idea for a float design lingering the air at the IMC.
this idea is to build a small jail constructed out of wood and
news-gazoos, and inside the jail are story headlines not reported on by
the news-gazoo (or presented, but with a serious conservative slant).  the
door to the jail would be opened by IMCstas (thus suggesting that the IMC
is letting information out into the public).  This design has been
addressed at the steering group, without objection, but hasn't been
presented to the general imc community...so here it is.  If this float is
objected to, does anyone have any other suggestions (other than carrying
signage)?

there is no working group tackling this project, though we do have a flat
bed "wagon" lined up to build it on.  what we need is to find a time to
build it (shouldn't take too long, actually).  monday nite, folks from
AWARE are meeting at Sharon Coeurvie's house (1106 W. Church St. in
Champaign...across from Davidson Park).  Would we want to meet with them
and join forces to help each other's creative energies?  else, any
suggestions?  meet at the IMC monday nite, perhaps?

in terms of supplies, primarily needed is some wood, lots of old
news-gazettes (why the news-gazette you ask?  because the theme of this
year's 4 of J parade is:  Celebrating 150 years of the News-Gazette, A
free people, a free press....which is where the image of the jail and the
"freeing of the press" comes from), and lots of headlines omitted or
distorted by the news gazette to hang in the jail. that is, if there is no
objections to this idea for the float, then we'll need these supplies.  of
course, colorful materials are also useful (especially if they are fire
resistant, retardant, or whatever the common term of the day is).

this will be a fun event, the 4 of j parade.  AWARE is nearby (with luck
we'll actually be back to back, if we can switch places with one of the
other entries).  And the Greens are working on moving so that they are
nearby as well.  David Monk is creating an insect parade to be in the 4 of
J parade.  So, lots of cool things are gonna be represented, and possibly
remind people of the way things are (or aren't).

the steering group will address when and what will be built at tomorrow's
meeting.  all input is welcomed.  if you read this too late and still want
to raise concerns or help out, please email back and we'll work with ya to
address the points.

thanks,
brian