[Imc] projet Movilivre / Bookmobile Project

Paul Riismandel p-riism at uiuc.edu
Fri May 24 03:57:45 UTC 2002

Hello all,

I've been in contact with a project known as the Bookmobile Project, which
indeed is a big ol' van full of independent art and publications touring
North America.  Tentatively, they'd like to make a stop here in Urbana
during June 28 & 29.

Their website is: http://mobilivre.org/

My questions for everyone are:
-Is this something we actually want to host?
-Can you think of some kind of event/s that can coincide with the
bookmobile?  I'll be working with local zine-sters to get them involved.
-They ask for $0-1000 sliding scale to help cover costs. How might we be
able to help them out?

I'd like to ask to have this added to Sunday's steering meeting if anyone
shows up.

Form their website: "projet MOBILIVRE-BOOKMOBILE project is a community
arts initiative founded by the Bookmobile collective, a diverse group of
emerging North American artists and community activists. Our mandate is to
fuse artistic and literrary production with political activism and
community organizing. We are concerned with reaching an audience wider
than, or different from, the usual art-going crowd. We aim to engage with
thinkers, readers, and makers of North America in the contexts of their
communities. Facilitating bookbinding and zine-making workshops,
discussions, video screenings and and related educational forums, we hope
to bring together people who are concerned with the survival of independent
media."

Thanks,

Paul