[Imc] breaking news - reporters, staffers needed

Zachary C. Miller wolfgang at wolfgang.groogroo.com
Fri May 31 03:42:16 UTC 2002

A UIUC student active in the israel divestent cammpaign was detained
by federal agents tonight. His wearabouts remain undisclosed by the
authorities. Friends are gathering at his house to be present when the
agents return to raid his premises. This may happen tonight, it may
happen in the morning. There will be a meeting at his house in the
morning at 6am and the press is expected to show up.

I am keeping the IMC open all night as a support headquarters for the
folks working on this and as a central information disemination
point. It would be great if people could volunteer to do any of the
following things:

1) Be at Ahmed's house with cameras and video equipment to cover any
   FBI/INS visit that might happen.

2) Be at the IMC for shifts so I can take a nap and so there are
   people to help out and keep each other company.

Everything could go down tonight and the IMC will be the only media
outlet to cover it or it could take days for things to go down. We
have to organize for a long term presense so anyone who wants to help
at any time please let me know by email, by stopping by the IMC, or by
calling the IMC.

Visit http://ucimc.org/ahmed for updates.

Here is the press release:

MEDIA ADVISORY		FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 5-30-02

Recent UI Graduate Arrested by FBI:
Supporters Demand Answers

URBANA - On Thursday night, May 30, forty commuinity supporters of
Ahmed Bensouda gathered at the Illini Union to demand answers and plan
their actions in the wake of Bensouda's arrest by the FBI.  The group,
Friends of Ahmed, want to ensure that he is safe and that his rights
are not being violated, and they want to find out why Bensouda was
arrested and where he is being held.  The FBI claims to have no
knowledge of Bensouda's location or status.

"I think it's incredibly unfair," said Raana Ahmed, a close friend of
Bensouda and spokesperson for Friends of Ahmed.  "He operated on
principles of justice for everyone.  He's a humanitarian--I don't see
how this is justified."

Ahmed Bensouda, who graduated with a political science degree from the
University of Illinois last month, was arrested by men who identified
themselves as FBI agents at about 2:30 on Thursday afternoon.  The
agents gave no explanation for the arrest.  Friends said Bensouda was
questioned by the INS about a week ago, with the agents asking him
questions about September 11.

Bensouda is a Moroccan citizen who holds Gambian and Moroccan
passports and is in the United States on a student visa, which expires
in August 2002.  Bensouda was in the process of extending his visa.

Bensouda is an activist involved in human rights and anti-racism
issues.  He's a member of the Democratic Solidarity Committee, a
student group at the UIUC that takes action in solidarity with
oppressed people.  Recently, he's been involved in rallies and
protests in solidarity with Palestinian civilians.

Supporters at Thursday's meeting included members of Democratic
Solidarity Committee, Champaign-Urbana's ant-war group AWARE, members
of Illinois Student Government, Unity and Struggle, and others.  They
plan to maintain a constant vigil at Bensouda's residence, 205 W. High
St., Urbana, until their questions are answered.

For more information, contact:

Raana Ahmed, 217-201-1547 / rahmed at uiuc.edu
Al Kagan, AWARE's "Mutual Aid Pact" coordinator, 217-333-6519

http://www.ucimc.org/ahmed/