[IMC] Someone Like You

Funding Exchange drew.zimmerman at fex.org
Sun Apr 1 18:00:22 UTC 2012

Email not displaying correctly?
[1]View it in your browser.
_A Different Kind of Commute_
It was a day like any other day.
  Links:
    1. http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=fa6d7a4333a1b0ae2ab0c4bb4&id=98d2914ab5&e=1ef5d836a6

It was a beautiful Monday morning, and I made my way down the block
watching people taking down the fences in gated communities in my
neighborhood. I stopped by and wondered why. They said it was happening
across the country because people _have no fear of living with their
neighbors_. They went on to say that the same change is taking place in our
healthcare system. _No barriers to access_.

When our neighbor Maria was hospitalized a week ago, her son had wanted
to give her a ride back home the day she was discharged, but the hospital
had arranged everything. I asked her, "Do you need any help with your
hospital bills?" - but she said she didn't have to pay a penny. At this
point she looked at me as if I had come from another world. _Don't you
know healthcare is free now?_ Oh! I started wondering what was going on... I
said, "Take care," and continued along my way to the office. On the next
block of our subdivision, I saw that people who lost their houses to
foreclosure were _returning to their homes_.

I stopped and asked them what was happening. They too looked at me in
disbelief because they felt that I was out of touch with reality. Someone
was putting up a big tent - _It's for the block party!_ she shouted. The one
being thrown by the banks and the rest of the community. Our big welcome
back party! "I'll be sure to stop by after work," I said as I kept on down
the block, starting to feel like I was in a dream state. Finally I came
across some teenagers wearing backpacks on their way to school. _Some were
LGBTQ, many were youth of color_.

Their shouts and laughter reminded me of chatty morning birds. "What's all
the commotion about?" I inquired. They all answered at once - school is more
enjoyable because the classes are smaller this year. Yeah, and _we feel safe
all the time_. No one asks me why I wear ties and fingernail polish. Then
they kept going, caught up in their excitement about school. Lost in this
dream state, and realizing how much smoother my morning commute was today -
I looked down and saw the sidewalk had been repaired and was more accessible
for my chair.

***

_Another year, another April Fool's. _

But changing the world is real. Support [2]Funding Exchange's efforts to
resource systemic change work for all our communities. We are building a
multiracial, cross-class, intergenerational, intersectional community
of people/activists/visionaries like you to mobilize for change - and it
takes funds to keep this network moving and growing. _And that's no joke_.
  Links:
    2. http://www.fex.org

[3]Click here and make a donation: We are grateful for your gifts from $10
all the way to $10 million. _Every gift matters_, as does your involvement
with this crucial work.
  Links:
    3. https://fex.org/contribute-online

Toward a new April,

An activist like you, who cares about FEX
[4]Follow on Twitter| [5]Friend on Facebook | [6]Forward to Friend
_Copyright © 2012 Funding Exchange, All rights reserved._
 You have been included in this mailing because of an affiliation with Funding Exchange. If you have received this email in error, please accept our apologies and click the "unsubscribe" button above.
  Links:
    4.
http://www.twitter.com/FundingXchange/

    5. http://www.facebook.com/fundingxchange
    6. http://us2.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=fa6d7a4333a1b0ae2ab0c4bb4&id=98d2914ab5&e=1ef5d836a6

_Our mailing address is:_
Funding Exchange
666 Broadway
Suite 500
New York, NY 10012

[7]unsubscribe from this list | [8]update subscription preferences
  Links:
    8. http://fex.us2.list-manage2.com/profile?u=fa6d7a4333a1b0ae2ab0c4bb4&id=8b1167a6d6&e=1ef5d836a6