[IMC] MAG-Net Anchors Retreat Day One: Presented by Carol Ammons

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Wed Apr 18 13:37:58 UTC 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: <Brandi at centerformediajustice.org>
Date: Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 2:37 AM

*MAG-Net Anchors are in Maryland this week for the annual anchors meeting.
 On the MAG-Net site we'll have daily updates and photos from the event as
well as fresh behind the scenes blogs from some of our anchors.  Our first
featured blogger is Carol Ammons,** Operation & Program Director of the
Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center.*
*
*
*MAG-Net Anchors Retreat Day One*
*
*
What a way to open an event - for some who’ve never met and others who are
re-uniting under the umbrella of connectivity and unity.   Food!  As stated
by a great philosopher,  “Nothing would be more tiresome than eating and
drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity.”  It
was a great pleasure to me such an illustrious body of activist and
organizers at the dinner table.   We started the evening with a huge meal,
excellent in taste and large in proportions.   I really ate too much, and
there goes my diet!  If more of us valued food and cheer and song above
hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.  Food, like a loving touch or a
glimpse of divine power, has that ability to comfort.  And I felt extremely
comfortable.

The after dinner session started off just like a family re-union would,
cultural exchanges, and personal stories of motivation and triumph.  The
staff planned for everything.  Of course they knew that folks would be
suffering for over-indulgence from dinner and amply worked in a bit of a
competition to get the juices flowing.  Rock, Paper, Scissors.  Some twenty
contenders entered the competition for the first annual Rock, Paper,
Scissors championship, of which, the writer of this blog was this years
WINNER!

Read the rest of Carol Ammon's blog post and see pictures from day one on
MAG-Net's website
here.<http://www.mag-net.org/blog/mag-net-anchors-retreat-day-one-presented-carol-ammons>