[IMC] Press Release from Portland Mayoral Candidate

Cameron Whitten media.cameron at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 17:42:52 UTC 2012

For Immediate Release
                          April 24th, 2012
Contact: Cameron Whitten
(503)890-5716
media.cameron at gmail.com

Open Letter from Occupy Portland Activist and Portland Mayoral Candidate
Cameron Whitten on Public Safety

I am writing this in response to the Portland Police Association’s
determination to become politically involved in the Portland Mayor’s race.
 I remember being the first Mayoral Candidate to publicly support Mayor Sam
Adam’s decision to challenge the reinstatement of Ron Frashour, both
launching an online petition at
http://www.change.org/petitions/jane-r-wilkinson-repeal-the-reinstatement-of-ron-frashourwithin
24 hours and appearing at the Albina Ministerial Alliance rally
outside of City Hall on April 2nd.

I am a strong and passionate advocate for Police Accountability. The
culture of our public safety standards only moves forward when we speak
publicly about these issues, that is what I am doing today. At the Mercury,
I raised the concerns about the Portland Police Association raising dues in
order to file more labor complaints. In a situation like the Ron Frashour
case, the City is forced to decide whether they can afford to hold our
police accountable, or follow the higher moral obligation to do so. It is
an unfair to our elected officials, who must either pave roads or allow
untrained, aggressive cops continue their practice.

When we sat next to each other during the Mercury’s endorsement interview
yesterday, I saw Jefferson waver as he responded to questions about Police
Accountability. His opposition to the reinstatement of Ron Frashour has
been hesitant, and he dodged the prospect of making grand jury trials on
Police Complaints public when asked.

People ask me why I am in this race, this is a prime example of how I stand
out in a field of 23 candidates. As Portland’s next potential Mayor, I am
unwilling to play politics to earn favor from special interest groups. When
I questioned Jefferson yesterday about his out of state contributions, he
retorted that he did not accept out of state contributions from
corporations, but in-state donations and out of state donations from other
sources are completely acceptable. I find sincere disappointment in this.

One thing I feel that Occupy Portland has taught society is that we must
present ourselves in an ethical manner, that is what makes a truly
Progressive Candidate. Jefferson Smith has not clearly demonstrated that he
can be the Progressive Candidate for Portland that the media paints him to
be.

Occupy Portland sets a new level of standards for what it means to be an
outstanding politician and a model civic leader. I hope that all Candidates
begin listening more carefully to the demands of the 99 percent, and become
less manipulative in their support of the Movement.