[IMC] America Unites To Bike 10 Million Miles This Summer

League of American Bicyclists carolyn at bikeleague.org
Mon Apr 30 15:01:17 UTC 2012

Having trouble viewing this email?
Click here
http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=ah8attcab&v=001BVV8sZmFHDQIhnP5ssQtEj_4ilAD6ta3zNVB-91CwyVoXYYt4rYi1H9KYI3Xo8j7o77g7XNS_ec-N_SBUBFSU5QjSxa4_hjkiSKQR0I_dRFyftW1E27G71Tv55C0PrNBsMVzGi0GyDGlT6Yn7GOSJMoVhzOjj7RBB8QILYmsY2YuQRzA3tfEcF2bHu9kJXvn5EJCaDXLY0AX1tXcBoyxj3sfQi4mj79U0a2LWxw0Q0Uptz2CQtSf447CmOJ9cXX-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For Immediate Release

America Unites to Bike 10 Million Miles

National Bike Challenge engages thousands of businesses and U.S. residents
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Washington, D.C. - April 30, 2012 - In 2007, Leonard Wright weighed more than 250
pounds and could barely bicycle a quarter-mile before lying in the grass, gasping
for air. Now, the 66-year-old Florida resident is slim, fit and every morning he
 gets up and rides more miles than his age. What's Wright's motivation? The Get
Up & Ride National Bike Challenge [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001sb1xW0QatMRsuAwERHAWBVJyNIY8HE-UYHBsWZXOIJ9TtZQcBjNgeBjFI6ZYWlf6yW5jnzEyUFWlSysUTA8AaT5Gmsih2F6OnCk0NTnPrFjZdmVKhC1UwXu3kAAonISr].

The National Bike Challenge (nationalbikechallenge.org [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001sb1xW0QatMTTmARFWG4PgWbiW3kv1jRqFE-0oej74YgsACbVPSdSZTABKikldToWnQ3enLFkJkw9g69OVa46E-tDtvoscX57JzC2urjnc-XRfB7uqPcuUyTMWKOPDNCD])
is a new, nationwide initiative to inspire and empower millions of Americans to
ride their bikes for transportation, recreation and better health. The friendly,
 online competition -- sponsored by the League of American Bicyclists, Bikes Belong,
Endomondo and the Kimberly-Clark Corporation -- kicks off tomorrow, May 1, and runs
until August 31, 2012.

The goal: To unite 50,000 bicyclists to ride 10 million miles in communities across
America.

The Challenge is simple, free and open to everyone. Sign up [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001sb1xW0QatMRsuAwERHAWBVJyNIY8HE-UYHBsWZXOIJ9TtZQcBjNgeBjFI6ZYWlf6yW5jnzEyUFWlSysUTA8AaT5Gmsih2F6OnCk0NTnPrFjZdmVKhC1UwXu3kAAonISr]
as an individual or as a team, log your miles, share your stories and encourage
others to join you. Smartphones users can download the free, GPS-enabled Endomondo
mobile app to record travel distance and automatically upload their miles. Riders
will compete for prizes and awards on the local and national level, including a
Grand Prize trip through California wine country from Trek Travel [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001sb1xW0QatMSiGxf6GKOSSq8XCv-nNwEubEpZsCnT4ffKMt1wWQ3zm-2nLXKsFbhK5ciV4AdAzFimUy-5lpWOAV3zUEijMjcOT5u-mMSAWmpp3aFhlG5tpA==].

Even before the official start, the Challenge has engaged thousands of participants.
During the warm-up period from February to April, more than 12,000 residents from
more than 500 cities nationwide registered. Collectively, they logged more than
1 million miles and burned nearly 35 million calories. By encouraging healthy living
and active transportation, the Challenge provides an innovative tool to address
the nation's obesity epidemic and save American families money as gas prices skyrocket
this summer.

Leonard Wright is certainly leading the way - the retired General Motors worker
won the warm-up period with the most miles logged. "I've been riding for years,
and I was looking for something to get me motivated," he says. "When I saw the National
Bike Challenge, I thought, 'This is something I can do.' And anyone can do it. I'm
involved with a number of other senior physical fitness groups and I always encourage
people to try biking because it's so easy."

In addition to encouraging individual riders, the Challenge provides a free and
engaging wellness tool for businesses. It's already proven successful: During the
pilot run last year, employees from the Kimberly-Clark Corporation embraced the
Challenge and logged more than 182,000 miles. Recognizing the tremendous resource
to boost employee health, more than 3,000 companies and nonprofits have already
signed up for the 2012 Challenge, including Facebook, Verizon, Mars, Harley Davidson,
IBM, Texas Instruments and National Geographic.

"Verizon Wireless is a leader in promoting a healthy culture for our employees,"
 says Melissa Worley, Health and Wellness Coordinator for Verizon's Bellevue, Wash.,
campus. "We offer bike lockers and showers for commuting employees and also advocate
bicycle education by hosting safe riding classes on campus. Participating in National
Bike Month and the National Bike Challenge is part of that healthy culture and a
 great forum for creating community, health and friendly competition between our
 campuses nationwide."

"The National Geographic Society supports biking both for recreation and as a part
of our daily commute, so we're proud to participate in the National Bike Challenge,"
said National Geographic Society CEO John Fahey. "The Society provides resources
 and incentives for employees who bike to work, and a number of staff, including
 me, enjoy a regular lunchtime ride."

For added incentive and to promote bicycle advocacy, the Kimberly-Clark Foundation
will donate 10 cents to the League of American Bicyclists for every mile logged
during the competition.
Sign up at www.nationalbikechallenge.org [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001sb1xW0QatMRsuAwERHAWBVJyNIY8HE-UYHBsWZXOIJ9TtZQcBjNgeBjFI6ZYWlf6yW5jnzEyUFWlSysUTA8AaT5Gmsih2F6OnCk0NTnPrFjZdmVKhC1UwXu3kAAonISr].
Join us at facebook.com/nationalbikechallenge [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001sb1xW0QatMSq3vIQOC-AvYce05XF9Qv1w4imrJfsu9uYRECgfpwxpPZg8YWuJ7m_Bj2QZqirCsfcYSY5lYe0qijj3D0euMkWVfjSEKXHtjebwrznVYWEoq_ExFzdfqqM6UvLmWvFNGs=]
and follow us on Twitter @BikeChallenge12.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Contact:
Carolyn Szczepanski
Communications Director
League of American Bicyclists
(816) 509-0774
Carolyn at BikeLeague.org
The National Bike Challenge is a partnership of:
About the League: The League of American Bicyclists promotes bicycling for fun,
fitness and transportation, and works through advocacy and education for a bicycle-friendly
America. The League represents the interests of America's 57 million bicyclists,
 including its 300,000 members and affiliates. Learn more [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001sb1xW0QatMQ2FT8mPGuKuBKZ_odTW8b0J7sdKmoJJ4A9mHS7HPaDuQGy6puiuLuq0ZSIwZJEir7Ma4NV1daKWC1aQz6ysJnjFoTHt1Sj6F_uE6e3yiX1Tw==].
About Kimberly-Clark:  Kimberly-Clark and its well-known global brands are an indispensable
part of life for people in more than 175 countries. Every day, nearly a quarter
of the world's population trust K-C's brands and the solutions they provide to enhance
their health, hygiene and well-being. With brands such as Kleenex, Scott, Huggies,
Pull-Ups, Kotex and Depend, Kimberly-Clark holds the No. 1 or No. 2 share position
in more than 80 countries. To keep up with the latest K-C news and to learn more
 about the company's 140-year history of innovation, click here [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001sb1xW0QatMQUFDyrj_RrPyyaHpi_TcKWtlp2ik7J1Jbij27v1bBdhwv1J3YrYKHbN7jsL5krDj-t60b5TD6jZrQJ3dafbG5Lq2iJklKZJlGYcv0C8Mgjew==].
About Endomondo: Launched in 2008, Endomondo is a social sports and fitness network
that enables people worldwide to engage around their passions  for living active
 lives. Endomondo turns the mobile phone into a personal trainer and a social training
partner and has 8.5 million users worldwide. Learn more [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001sb1xW0QatMTaSf9bPrDmm1xuJzEeAIvz3CWIAdam0eeWMrpBhSfW87lISa9MP_3I1WDaQsVZyDX3MgqhmkWQA6LK0cIodlGBnycjLOGiLNX3u0M4XZqBKg==].
About Bikes Belong:
The Bikes Belong Coalition is the U.S. bicycle industry organization dedicated to
getting more people riding bikes more often. Bikes Belong works to increase federal
bike funding, awards grants to support innovative bike projects, promotes bicycling
and its benefits, and backs crucial national partnerships. The 501(c)3 Bikes Belong
Foundation focuses on improving bicycle safety and enhancing children's bike programs,
and hosts the Green Lane Project, Safe Routes to School National Partnership, and
PeopleForBikes.org. Learn more. [http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001sb1xW0QatMQYhrUEQdCnp7_cssevfMNyEQoi-knn3TewVuJ1O62jpG0ARXwWP446lLvRBwuG0nFs_95Dm9FMo87m4oX8ZcJB5EjmBug9Y8iWN0hF0BFrsg==]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Forward this email
http://ui.constantcontact.com/sa/fwtf.jsp?llr=ah8attcab&m=1102316596448&ea=imc@ucimc.org&a=1109875644332

This email was sent to imc at ucimc.org by carolyn at bikeleague.org.

Update Profile/Email Address
http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=oo&mse=001bAhAGGXw8y9W9M9YbKidzaAJQxQ8G43f6iT8WqfDjbM%3D&t=001_3prt7bxmvaERrh-DuL8XQ%3D%3D&llr=ah8attcab

Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe(TM)
http://visitor.constantcontact.com/do?p=un&mse=001bAhAGGXw8y9W9M9YbKidzaAJQxQ8G43f6iT8WqfDjbM%3D&t=001_3prt7bxmvaERrh-DuL8XQ%3D%3D&llr=ah8attcab

Privacy Policy:
http://ui.constantcontact.com/roving/CCPrivacyPolicy.jsp

Online Marketing by
Constant Contact(R)
www.constantcontact.com

League of American Bicyclists | 1612 K Street NW | Suite 800 | Washington | DC | 20006