[IMC] Election Year Famine, Responding to Citizens United

Barbara Heisler, Funding Exchange drew.zimmerman at fex.org
Wed Jul 25 12:44:49 UTC 2012

Is this email not displaying correctly?
[1]View it in your browser.
FEX_logo
[2]Donate Now »
Follow on Twitter [3]Follow Us On Twitter
Friend on Facebook [4]Friend Us On Facebook
Forward to Friend [5]Forward To A Friend
TheExchange
We're Thinking About November 7th
  Links:
    1. http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=fa6d7a4333a1b0ae2ab0c4bb4&id=4f69b14834&e=&utm_source=Funding+Exchange+List&utm_campaign=0585989ae3-July_2012_Exchange7_19_2012&utm_medium=email
    2. http://www.fex.org/contribute-online?utm_source=Funding+Exchange+List&utm_campaign=4f69b14834-The_Exchange_Summer_2012&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Funding+Exchange+List&utm_campaign=0585989ae3-July_2012_Exchange7_19_2012&utm_medium=email
    3. http://www.twitter.com/fundingxchange?utm_source=Funding+Exchange+List&utm_campaign=4f69b14834-The_Exchange_Summer_2012&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Funding+Exchange+List&utm_campaign=0585989ae3-July_2012_Exchange7_19_2012&utm_medium=email
    4. http://www.facebook.com/fundingxchange?utm_source=Funding+Exchange+List&utm_campaign=4f69b14834-Grantee_Announcement_5_2_2012&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Funding+Exchange+List&utm_campaign=0585989ae3-July_2012_Exchange7_19_2012&utm_medium=email
    5. http://us2.forward-to-friend.com/forward?u=fa6d7a4333a1b0ae2ab0c4bb4&id=4f69b14834&e=&utm_source=Funding+Exchange+List&utm_campaign=0585989ae3-July_2012_Exchange7_19_2012&utm_medium=email

[6]Barbara HeislerThe Funding Exchange has entered a new fiscal year –
this weird thing that happens to organizations but not people – so
while most of us think we’re in the middle of the year,
organizationally we’re just beginning again. This fiscal year is
different than most. Why? Because it’s a fiscal year that corresponds
to a national election cycle.
  Links:
    6. http://fex.org/blog/are-you-shareholder-activist?utm_source=Funding+Exchange+List&utm_campaign=0585989ae3-July_2012_Exchange7_19_2012&utm_medium=email

Years ago that fact wouldn’t have made much of a difference. But for
the past few election cycles, especially this one and 2008’s, it
appears that nonprofits, especially those that work in the political
realm but not in politics, will suffer from what I call Election Year
Famine. [7]What does the Election Year Famine mean for progressives?
  Links:
    7. http://fex.org/blog/november-7?utm_source=Funding+Exchange+List&utm_campaign=0585989ae3-July_2012_Exchange7_19_2012&utm_medium=email

What You Want to Know About Citizens United
[8]Fighting Citizens UnitedWe had a great call earlier this month
featuring Maxim Thorne, Esquire, who gave us background on the new
'Citizens United' electoral landscape and asked us to think outside the
confines of our own ideology, class and sector to act before the arc of
change bends beyond our grasp.
  Links:
    8. http://fex.org/news/effectively-counter-citizens-united?utm_source=Funding+Exchange+List&utm_campaign=0585989ae3-July_2012_Exchange7_19_2012&utm_medium=email

We've uploaded audio segments from the call, highlights from the call,
and more on our website.

[9]Learn more about Citizens United
  Links:
    9. http://fex.org/news/effectively-counter-citizens-united?utm_source=Funding+Exchange+List&utm_campaign=0585989ae3-July_2012_Exchange7_19_2012&utm_medium=email

Didn't Make it to the Latest Occupy Philanthropy Call?Earlier this
summer, Funding Exchange helped organize a call with our allies at
Occupy Philanthropy. We're pleased to share a report back from the
call, which included a scan of the "Occupy" landscape and a talk by
Rinku Sen.

[10]Check out the latest work to Occupy Philanthropy
  Links:
    10. http://fex.org/news/what-does-it-look-like-to-occupy-philanthropy?utm_source=Funding+Exchange+List&utm_campaign=0585989ae3-July_2012_Exchange7_19_2012&utm_medium=email

Want to Do an Internship at our National Office?Know of someone looking
for an entry point into progressive philanthropy? FEX internships
provide insight, experience, and connections in this quickly changing
career landscape. Our interns learn hands-on skills in an organization
making a difference in the world! Easily accessible lower Manhattan
(NoHo) location. We've listed [11]several internship opportunities for
the next school year here.
  Links:
    11. http://fex.org/news/internship-opportunities?utm_source=Funding+Exchange+List&utm_campaign=0585989ae3-July_2012_Exchange7_19_2012&utm_medium=email

FUNDING EXCHANGE STAFF
Barbara Heisler, Executive Director
[12]barbara.heisler at fex.org
[13]212.529.5300 x300
  Links:
    12. mailto:barbara.heisler at fex.org
    13. tel:212.529.5300%20x300

Donor Inquiries
Becky Rafter, Director of Stakeholder Engagement
[14]brafter at fex.org
[15]212.529.5300 x315
  Links:
    14. mailto:brafter at fex.org
    15. tel:212.529.5300%20x315

Nanda Witharanage, Grants Administrator
[16]nanda.witharanage at fex.org
[17]212.529.5300 x313
  Links:
    16. mailto:nanda.witharanage at fex.org
    17. tel:212.529.5300%20x313

Program Inquiries
Lucretia John, Program Officer
[18]lucretia.john at fex.org
[19]212.529.5300 x320
  Links:
    18. mailto:lucretia.john at fex.org
    19. tel:212.529.5300%20x320

General Inquiries
Drew Zimmerman, Office Manager
[20]drew.zimmerman at fex.org
212.529.5300 x300
  Links:
    20. mailto:drew.zimmerman at fex.org

Copyright © 2012 Funding Exchange, All rights reserved.
You have been included in this mailing because of an affiliation with
Funding Exchange. If you have received this email in error, please
accept our apologies and click the "unsubscribe" link.

Our mailing address is:
Funding Exchange
666 Broadway
Suite 500
New York, NY 10012
[21]Add us to your address book
[22]unsubscribe from this list | [23]update subscription preferences
  Links:
    21. http://fex.us2.list-manage.com/vcard?u=fa6d7a4333a1b0ae2ab0c4bb4&id=8b1167a6d6&utm_source=Funding+Exchange+List&utm_campaign=0585989ae3-July_2012_Exchange7_19_2012&utm_medium=email
    23. http://fex.us2.list-manage.com/profile?u=fa6d7a4333a1b0ae2ab0c4bb4&id=8b1167a6d6&e=&utm_source=Funding+Exchange+List&utm_campaign=0585989ae3-July_2012_Exchange7_19_2012&utm_medium=email

Sent to imc at ucimc.org — [24]why did I get this?
[25]unsubscribe from this list | [26]update subscription preferences
    24. http://fex.us2.list-manage.com/about?u=fa6d7a4333a1b0ae2ab0c4bb4&id=8b1167a6d6&e=1ef5d836a6&c=0585989ae3
    26. http://fex.us2.list-manage.com/profile?u=fa6d7a4333a1b0ae2ab0c4bb4&id=8b1167a6d6&e=1ef5d836a6