[IMC] F/U: PRESS: Free College-Level Course in Humanities in Urbana-Champaign

Carlos Velázquez cav at prairie.org
Tue Jun 26 19:44:23 UTC 2012

Hello to the Independent Media Center,

This is Carlos Velazquez, I am the communications manager for the Illinois
Humanities Council; I wanted to follow up with you on the email below on
the the recruitment of adults in Champaign for the Odyssey Project, our
free college-level liberal arts courses to adults living on low-incomes..
Perhaps your audiences may be interested in hearing about them?

With Ethnic Studies programs, which are essentially humanities programs,
under attack in Arizona, I wonder if these programs would be outlawed
there? Another quote, this time from a former student, speaks to the
programs ability to empower the disenfranchised. *"I've always been
opinionated. This is the first time that's been looked upon as something
good....If President Obama was sitting right there, I wouldn't be
intimidated to discuss Socrates with him. Socrates is my new best friend."*

We would appreciate any opportunity to get this information out to your
audiences. Let me know if there is any information I can provide; I can put
you in touch with faculty or alumni from the Champaign area. Thank you so
much for all of your great work!

--

*Carlos Velázquez
cav at prairie.org