No subject

Thu Mar 8 04:02:08 UTC 2012

"Flooding or Spamming of Posts - this is when a single individual posts
multiple times in a short period in a manner that indicates that the
poster's purpose is to flood the newswire or push other posts off the
front page of the IMC website, which typically only contains ten to
twenty of the most recent posts. This type of posting behavior can only
truly be identified after several occurrences, and depends heavily on
the amount of volume of posts. It can be difficult to stop because
posters can change screen names at a whim. Therefore the utmost care
must be taken to make sure that only posts that are made by a known
"spammer" are hidden.

"Off-Topic Posts - this is perhaps the most difficult category of
inappropriate posts to judge, since the IMC Newswire intends to be a
forum that is open to a broad range of topics and ideas. Nonetheless
there are posts that are baldly and clearly inappropriate, whose purpose
seems clearly to be other than informing, educating or adding to a
public discourse. In the worst cases their appearance on the IMC
Newswire may indeed discourage other visitors from using the site.
Isolated posts are typically not problematic, and so the problem of
off-topic posts is usually related to flooding or spamming. Therefore
the frequency of off-topic posts of a particular type should be
considered when deciding whether to hide them."

The following links to are provided to illustrate a pattern of posting
behavior "whose purpose seems clearly to be other than informing,
educating or adding to a public discourse."

Among the specific problems noted are:
Abuse of long, unbroken lines of text to make the stories of others
difficult to read.

Posting fake stories, including that "Larry is dead" and the one about a
woman from Urbana being injured in the Middle East.

Repeated use of insulting and abusive language with others commenters

Reposting of comments as articles

Flooding of the Newswire

Repeated use of all caps in conjunction with inappropriate comments

Imitating the identities of other posters with the intent create a
disruptive atmosphere.

Posting links to file downloads of a questionable nature.

The Chain of Evidence against DAN or whoever he really is...There are
many different names cited below. Yet I believe we are dealing with just
one person, based on patterns of behavior, style, and language usage.
The vast majority of this material has been posted in the last month or
so, usually in groups that are easily identifiable as such.

Is this a picture of Dan, our problem child? I don't know, but the
timing of its appearance may be more than coincidental. Dan appears to
have arrived with the flood of mostly rightwing and often racist
comments posted in reply to the story about the "Fightin' Whities".
These people seemed to somehow be under the misapprehension that the IMC
is some sort of glorified chat room, just like Dan:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=4571&group=webcast>

upinyabch comment begins a trend of someone with serious spelling
problems:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5168&group=webcast>

DAN comment:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5167&group=webcast>

then Shirl McArthur posts this as comment to above article, which gets
immediately reposted as this article by Kathy. This is a behavior we
will see again.:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5182&group=webcast>
Note that Kathy turns to all caps in her comment in reply under the same
post.

Fake news story be sean. It was spammed across the IMC network, with the
name of the woman changed to represent someone form the city of the
particular city it was spammed to:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5208&group=webcast>

Supposed to be another pic of Dan, but it wasn't:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5242&group=webcast>

Dan reposts his picture:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5243&group=webcast>

DANNY uses unbroken line of text, all caps, to make article hard to read
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5359&group=webcast>

jlhgfru uses unbroken line of text, all caps, to make article hard to
read:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5367&group=webcast>
note various replies all in same style by VANA, FRANK, Lisa, and FRED
with abuse language, along with repeated use of unbroken long lines of
text to make page difficult to read.

FRED uses unbroken long lines of text again, along with more rude
language including some of same from Danny D.:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5379&group=webcast>

FRED (I think, based on proximity of other posts it's our guy) posts as
me, ML, uses unbroken long lines of text again. I correct the author in
the comment when I break up FRED's mess to make the article readable:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5392&group=webcast>

k provides ink to suspicious download file:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5414&group=webcast>

DANNY uses unbroken long lines of text again:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5415&group=webcast>

danny d floods Newswire:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5433&group=webcast>
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5435&group=webcast>
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5436&group=webcast>
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5437&group=webcast>
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5438&group=webcast>

Authorship originally attributed to me, ML, which I changed to spammers
as it obviously wasn't true. Then, another flood of stories, with these
names, dannyd, DANNY D, lisa, TONY:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5444&group=webcast>

<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5445&group=webcast>
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5446&group=webcast>
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5447&group=webcast>
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5448&group=webcast>
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5449&group=webcast>
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5450&group=webcast>
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5451&group=webcast>
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5452&group=webcast>
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5453&group=webcast>
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5454&group=webcast>

frank and GINA follow C. Reese's post of questionable taste with more
rude comments to those who critique to its content:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5456&group=webcast>

david posts, twice, apparently trying to use long lines in the title of
his first article here to mess up the mainpage like he has done to
articles before. This doesn't work due to Active preventing it, but
associates the tactic with this pattern:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5527&group=webcast>
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5528&group=webcast>

DANNY D pushing conspiracy theory:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5593&group=webcast>

This article, and the associated replies, was lost in a server crash or
something. FRANK insisted in rather vulgar terms that the arrest of a
young Muslim girl was simply a cop acting as a pervert. While the arrest
was abusive, FRANK's charges were clearly an exaggeration. Names used
here were FRANK, stupid hippies, UPSIDURHEAD, and Tommy. You can simply
look at the titles to gauge the level of discourse engaged in here.
stupid hippies threatened to "turn in" the IMC to the authorities for
"slandering" the cop involved, which is ironic, considering that he
probably posted the original story:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5645&group=webcast>
and comments 5646, 5647, 5648, 5650, 5651, 5655

FRANK posts a link to questionable file, then follows up with a repost
of the picture lost in the server crash above and other comments by JJ
and ok then:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5662&group=webcast>

Various comments by fuck you:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5766&group=webcast>

Comment by YES FACISTS AT HOME:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5777&group=webcast>
reposted as article by DAN:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5780&group=webcast>
then it is reposted by bob hope, with another nod toward fascist
ideology that attracts this guy like a moth to the flame, with
additional comment by ML you suck:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5790&group=webcast>

IT HAS COME HOME TO US on a rant as comment with continued references to
fascism and general sowing of mistrust of others as a theme:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5776&group=webcast>

More of the mistrust theme from WATCH URBACK, along with a ridiculously
large graphic file that seem to have no point other to waste space on
the hard drive:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5804&group=webcast>

HEATHER insists LARRY IS DEAD!!!, reaching a new level of bad taste,
evene for this jerk:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5819&group=webcast>
followed by the KILLTHEPIGS comment, then a brief and probably insincere
apology for having gone too far by YES PLEASE HIDE MY POST, which, as in
many of the above cases, was done. Then I AM NOT RIGHT WINGED. Granted,
stupid and right wing don't always go together, but who else has more
motive to make the IMC site repulsive to use?

YOMAMASAMA and BUGA WUGA actually post some news:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5836&group=webcast>
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5837&group=webcast>

LARRY tries to figure out his right from his left, with another pathetic
attempt at humor over the Ben-Souda situation and HAHAHA, etc:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5853&group=webcast>
accompanied by this article posted by LARRY which seems to be nothing
but a carrier for another questionable file download teaser:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5854&group=webcast>

LARRY just can't help himself from making another comment about Nazis:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5849&group=webcast>

non palestinian posts death threats in a now familiar style:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5859&group=webcast>

sean and his continuing fascination with the use of any word with nazis
in it, even the the text of the article sees no need to use such
imagery, along with comment from his close buddy Quit you bitching ML
what up ur ass ?:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5863&group=webcast>

stop the racisum still can't spell, but can find material to repost:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5868&group=webcast>

M&M with another questionable teaser for a file download and news which
seems to be nothing but a set-up for an insult by CONCERNED:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5871&group=webcast>

M&M can't miss the chance to use the word zionazi a lot, even if he has
to use find and replace to do it after my earlier criticism of him
putting the word in the mouth of Wafa. He's so proud of this that two
copies need to be posted:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5881&group=webcast>
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5881&group=webcast>

larry with more foul-languaged commentary:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5903&group=webcast>

Larry and M&M like Fidel a lot, but are really more of an embarrassment
than someone you want standing beside you in solidarity:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5943&group=webcast>

oh well you are next continues the campaign to discourage anyone from
even trying to organize against injustice:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5950&group=webcast>
Being so pleased with himself, the comment above is then reposted as
this article:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5955&group=webcast>
and for some reason, the jerk was so impressed with his work he then
proceeded to spam the IMC network with it, while posting it yet again as
an article here at UCIMC, authored by WAMA BAM:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5958&group=webcast>

km likes slavery along with his fascism, HAHAHAs, and other juvenile
comments:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5974&group=webcast>

Perhaps being FORMER REPUBLICAN explains a lot about this individual's
political confusion, but it doesn't excuse it:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5978&group=webcast>

tina makes a comment to my comment, which doesn't even show up on the
Newswire:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5981&group=webcast>

More rude language and hahas:
<http://www.ucimc.org/front.php3?article_id=5987&group=webcast>

I would of course be interested in comments and opinions on what should
be done about this. As I noted, my proposal will be to simply hide his
future posts.
Mike Lehman