[IMC] FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: First Annual Book and Print Arts Show for The Soybean Press to take place at indi go

Shannon Beck indigo.coop at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 15:22:05 UTC 2012

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE [MAR 26, 2012]

Indi Go Artist Co-Op
Shannon Beck
217-649-5508
9 East University Ave.
Champaign, Il 61820
http://www.indi-go-art.com

FIRST ANNUAL BOOK AND PRINT ARTS SHOW FOR THE SOYBEAN PRESS TO TAKE
PLACE AT INDI GO

Local print and book artists will be displaying and selling some of
their work in cooperation with The Soybean Press on March 31st from
12-5pm at indi go Artist Co-Op. This is The Soybean Press’ first
annual show. Come see some innovating and inspiring art work from the
CU community.

The Soybean Press is a cooperative effort of The Rare Book &
Manuscript Library, The School of Art + Design, andThe Graduate School
of Library and Information Science (GSLIS) at the University of
Illinois (Urbana-Champaign). Founded in 2007, The Soybean Press works
through classes, workshops, and seminars to expand awareness and
knowledge of printing and bookmaking, with particular emphasis on the
teaching and promotion of letterpress printing. Central to our work
are collaborative projects within the university and with artists and
printers of national and international status.

We teach the traditional art of printing, while incorporating digital
technology and other contemporary approaches to print-making and
printing, an approach that leads to innovative new forms and formats.
We work on iron hand presses, mid-century letterpresses, and with a
variety of print techniques. What we print is as important as how we
print. Collaborative productions with such authors as Audrey
Niffenegger (The Time Traveller’s Wife) and W.S. Merwin (poet laurate
of the U.S.) bestow an originality, vivacity and immediacy to the work
of the Soybean Press. We have also partnered with the Combat Paper
Initiative to print reflective work by returning veterans.
This event is FREE and open to the public.

Visit The Soybean Press website! http://www.library.illinois.edu/rbx/Soybean/

###

indi go Artist Co-Op was opened in April 2009 under the belief that
“Visual Space Has Essentially No Owner”. It operates as a gallery,
music venue, and performance space for artists, musicians, and
performers in the Champaign-Urbana area. For more information please
visit indi-go-art.com.

--
Shannon Beck
Gallery Director