[IMC] May 23 Webinar: A Cell Phone Literacy Toolkit

Danielle Chynoweth chyn at ojctech.com
Tue May 22 15:49:20 UTC 2012

This looks like interesting curriculum for us to become familiar with. -
Danielle
 *You're invited to the Media Action Grassroots Network (MAG-Net
)<http://www.mag-net.org>May Digital Dialogue & Webinar
* *Mobile Media Matters: Investigating Wireless/Mobile with Dialed-In: A
Cell Phone Literacy Toolkit
*

RSVP Now! <https://cc.readytalk.com/cc/s/showReg?udc=lekbesbd04t3>*
*

*TOMORROW! Wednesday, May 23rd: A Special Digital Dialogue & Webinar at
10am PST/1pm EST (for 75 minutes)  *
There are 234 million cell phone subscribers in the United States, 45.5
million of whom own smartphones. By the end of 2011, the consumer
electronics industry was expected to bring in more than $190 billion.   A
remarkable share of that revenue is coming from people of color, who are
adopting smartphones at faster rates than white consumers and are doing far
more with them.

Accessing the Internet on mobile phones is usually the first doorway to the
broadband service for most rural, low-income, migrant and communities of
color. Our communities use it to surf the Internet, send and receive
messages, engage social media and produce or publish media on their phones.
This is why it's so crucial that we understand how our mobile phones work.
What are our privacy rights? What type of information is being shared about
us? How can we use our mobile devices to create, organize and communicate?

*The Dialed-In toolkit will help provide some insight on the questions of
our day as it relates to cellphones and mobile devices.  It was produced as
a collaboration between the Center for Urban Pedagogy, Media Literacy
Project, the Institute for Popular Education of Southern California and
People's Production House. *Each organization produced four complementary
sections of this curriculum including a documentary video, media literacy
exercises, mobile policy workshops and activities for re-imagining
cellphones as devices for documentation and personal expression. This
webinar will highlight several sections of Dialed-In including workshops to
prompt conversations about cell phone infrastructure and how people can
influence this framework, encourage students to think critically about how
meaning is shaped by different types of mobile communications media,
demystify the cellphone as a commodity and envision a more connected
relationship to mobile technology by enriching the potential use of cell
phones.  Webinar participants will be guided through several workshops as
the facilitator shares recent experiences teaching several units of the
curriculum in classroom settings with adults and youth.

Join the webinar and learn about the toolkit and resources you can take
back to your community to advance cellphone and mobile justice.

Email betty at centerformediajustice.org for more info.

Register for tomorrow's, May 23rd Webinar Now!
https://cc.readytalk.com/cc/s/showReg?udc=lekbesbd04t3

*Guest Speaker:*

   - Carlos Pareja, People's Production
House<http://peoplesproductionhouse.org/>

    (Moderated by Betty Yu, Center for Media
Justice<http://www.centerformediajustice.org>
)
--

Betty Yu****

Network Manager****

Center for Media Justice****

510-698-3800 x404****

www.centerformediajustice.org  <http://www.centerformediajustice.org/>****

www.mag-net.org****

Twitter: @mediaaction @mediajustice****

Like MAG-Net<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Media-Action-Grassroots-Network/109746965722585>on
Facebook****

** **

Donate<https://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/6797/p/salsa/donation/common/public/?donate_page_KEY=3221>to
Media Action Grassroots Network (MAG-Net) and the fight for media
justice ****

Sign up to be in our Online Action Network today at http://bit.ly/bOpqfj****
  Unsubscribe for the MADCOLISTSERV
http://hq-org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5623/unsubscribe.jsp?Email=danielle@prometheusradio.org&groups_KEY=96535