[IMC] Korean Cultural Center Restoration Urban Ministries

So Hyun Ahn judyahn16 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 00:13:31 UTC 2012

*Contact:*

* ***

*So Hyun (Judy) Ahn***

*Sahn30 at illinois.edu*

*224-489-2214***

*www.uiuckcc.org** ***

Dear Reporter,

Hello, my name is So Hyun and I am an editor of public relations team at
Korean Cultural Center, a non-profit registered student organization. I
would like to introduce a cultural event organized by student volunteers to
serve ethnic foods to the homeless people. This is an awe-inspiring story
worthy of coverage, and I hope you agree.

*International students volunteer to serve their ethnic foods to the
homeless*

Since 2006, the Korean Cultural Center (KCC) has been introducing Korean
culture to community members, regardless of their background. This year,
KCC chose to partner with Restoration Urban Ministries (RUM) to serve
Korean food to homeless families and their children. The event is set
on Friday,
October 26 at 5pm. RUM welcomes this unique opportunity to inform less
fortunate families with Korean food and musical performances.

The purpose of this event is “not only to raise Korean cultural awareness
to our local community by providing Korea food but also to provide an
educational opportunity for our international students who might have
thought themselves as the marginalized members of this society,” says Sunny
Jeong, founder of Korean Cultural Center. About 50 international students
will volunteer to cook, prepare and serve Korean meals for around 70-100
residents at the RUM event. “We want to prepare traditional, authentic,
delicious Korean food …Bulgogi, Japchae, and other secret desert menus and
drinks that are hardly introduced to the community” added Yoon Hwa (Kevin)
Shin, president of KCC. Educational activities are carefully designed and
followed by the dinner. Volunteers will give PowerPoint presentation about
Korean culture then ask guests to inform about American culture. “Educating
others and sharing stories can be empowering as much as receiving
education” Sunny Jeong explains the purpose of this activity and continues.
“There will be Korean music performers who will enrich this authentic
cultural experience of Korea in Champaign. “Karak Madang” traditional
Korean percussion group and Korean classic musical singers from the College
of Music at the University of Illinois will perform later that evening.
Sharing Korean food should be festive”

Many families and student volunteers will learn about each other’s lives as
they interact and communicate with each other. The homeless families can
learn about Korean culture, which might have otherwise been left
unfamiliar, and the student volunteers can learn life-lessons from the
families. The outcome of this event therefore will be heart-warming and
memorable. If you are interested in covering this event, please make an
inquiry to *sahn30 at illinois.edu.*

*About the Korean Cultural Center*

Korean Cultural Center (KCC) is a non-profit registered  student
organization at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (UIUC).
Since 2006, KCC has been working with various groups of UIUC students and
the local community to promote diversity, unity, harmony, tolerance and
peace by introducing and educating Korean culture to the community members.
KCC promotes and raises awareness of Korean culture within the Urbana
Champaign community as well as within the University. By doing so, the
Center simultaneously functions as a key and central place to increase
diversity and enrich Korean identity in the United States.

For more information on *the Korean Cultural Center*, please visit *
www.uiuckcc.org* <http://www.uiuckcc.org/> or contact* **So Hyun (Judy) Ahn,
** **Public Relations* at *224-489-2214* <_____Phone%20Number________> or *
sahn30 at illinois.edu*

Thank you very much for your consideration.

Best Regards,

So Hyun Ahn

Public Relations

Korean Cultural Center