[IMC] PSA/PRESS RELEASE: T-shirt campaign challenges views on who is an American

Megan Flowers megan at universityymca.org
Mon Oct 22 20:04:42 UTC 2012

PSA/PRESS RELEASE: T-shirt campaign challenges views on who is an American

Contact: Kasey Umland, Program Director, University YMCA
 217-337-1514, kasey at universityymca.org

Website: http://www.doilooklikeanamericantoyou.org

Student leaders at the University YMCA have launched a t-shirt campaign to
show that there is no race, religion or philosophy that impacts our status
as an American. The photo and t-shirt campaign, led by Interfaith in
Action, La Colectiva and Amnesty International, encourages people from all
backgrounds to share the photos and stories they receive when donning the
black t-shirt with the message “Do I Look Like an American to You?” in
white block letters.

The question "Do I look like an American to you?" can and does result in
some interesting answers.  Francisco Baires, a member of the C-U
Immigration Forum, of mixed Anglo and Latino descent says he gets mixed
reactions. “Some people tell me ‘yeah, of course, you do’ but others want
to talk more about the question itself.  It has led to some really
interesting conversations,” he said. “I take it as an opportunity to talk
about how as a U.S. Citizen, born in Central America, America means more to
me than just the United States.”

The campaign is being run in conjunction with Immigrant Justice Month,
sponsored by the C-U Immigration Forum’s Allies of Faith subgroup.
Participants are encouraged to wear their 'Do I look like an American to
you?' t-shirts to the upcoming lecture by Pulitzer Prize winning journalist
and undocumented American, Jose Antonio Vargas, on October 25th at
7pm. After the lecture, participants
are also encouraged to pose in a group photo as a way to express solidarity
with Mr. Vargas.  The event will take place in Lincoln Hall, room 1092 (702
S. Wright Street, Urbana).

Photos from the campaign can be found at
http://www.facebook.com/doilookamerican and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/universityymca/sets/72157627977149491/

T-shirts are currently on sale at the University YMCA (1001 S. Wright St.,
Champaign) for $15 ($10 for students) or online at
doilooklikeanamericantoyou.org. All proceeds benefit UIUC Interfaith in
Action and local immigrant outreach and services.