[IMC] MADRE Statement on Embassy Violence

MADRE media at madre.org
Thu Sep 13 19:01:32 UTC 2012

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
CONTACT: Kaitlyn Soligan, MADRE (212) 627-0444, media at madre.org[mailto:media at madre.org]

MADRE Stands With the Victims of Violence, Reiterates Need for US Policy to be Rights-Based

Thursday, September 13, 2012—New York, NY—We at MADRE condemn the recent attacks on the US embassy in Libya and extend our deepest sympathies to the families and friends of those who were killed. MADRE stands with all of the victims of violence, including the many civilians killed by US troops, drones, and allies in the region. Most of these victims' names will never make headlines. They will be known in the US only as “collateral damage.”

The killing of US Ambassador Stevens and his staff is a crime that must be addressed through international cooperation and the rule of law. We know from experience that a militarized response will only escalate violence. MADRE calls on President Obama, Secretary of State Clinton, and the administration to maintain a peaceful, rights-based approach in the pursuit of justice.

###

Remove my name from all future email correspondence
Opt out[https://bos.etapestry.com/prod/optOut.do?databaseId=Madre&jobRef=3185.0.95860858&principleRef=11427.0.2176650&email=imc%40ucimc.org]

Address postal inquiries to:
MADRE
121 W 27TH St Ste 301