[IMC] What kind of justice are you interested in?

Barbara Heisler, Funding Exchange drew.zimmerman at fex.org
Tue Sep 25 14:59:56 UTC 2012

We've got donor calls coming up on Citizens United, Housing Justice and how philanthropy is connecting with LGBTQ Asian American Pacific Islander communities.
Email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser (http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=fa6d7a4333a1b0ae2ab0c4bb4&id=828d0ea035&e=1ef5d836a6) .
Your Chance to Connect!
Hello Funding Exchange Supporter,

We've got several calls coming up for you to connect with other donors and other people interested in change, not charity.

This Thursday:

Citizens United Giving Circle Call (http://fex.org/news/citizens-united-giving-circle/citizens-united-giving-circle)
September 27, 4:30 to 5:30 PM ET

This giving community (focused on the Citizens United Supreme Court decision) is forming as a direct result of conversations with stakeholders who are interested in doing something about the onslaught of money in politics. This conversation will build on some of the conversation from our political education call earlier this year -- Citizens United: What's Possible for Donors and Activists (http://fex.org/news/effectively-counter-citizens-united) .

More details about the Citizens United Giving Circle Call (http://fex.org/news/citizens-united-giving-circle/citizens-united-giving-circle) on our website.

Housing Justice Giving Circle Call (http://fex.org/news/housing-justice-giving-circle/housing-justice-giving-circle)
October 1, 5:00 to 6:00 PM ET

After hosting a conference call earlier this year where donors “eavesdropped” on a dialogue between leaders of different fronts in the struggle for housing justice, several stakeholders stepped up to address the need for funding housing justice. This political education call will explore further organizing which addresses the root causes of the housing crisis.

More details about the Housing Justice Giving Circle Call (http://fex.org/news/housing-justice-giving-circle/housing-justice-giving-circle) on our website.

Philanthropy & LGBTQ AAPI Communities – Looking Into ‘Missed Opportunities’  (http://fex.org/philanthropy-lgbtq-aapi-communities-looking-into-missed-opportunities)
October 3, 1:00 to 2:00 PM ET

AAPI (Asian American, South Asian, Southeast Asian, and Pacific Islander) communities make up the fastest growing racial group in the US. At the same time, more and more AAPIs are coming out as being lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or queer (LGBTQ). To meet this growing need, build community, and cultivate resources, LGBTQ AAPIs across the country are developing innovative projects and organizations. These groups engage in programs and activities that “challenge and support Southeast Asian youth to become leaders, organizers, and critical thinkers” and advocate for “the fair treatment of LGBT people and marriage equality”.
However, the "Missed Opportunities" report released earlier this year showed that financial support from foundations for LGBTQ work within AAPI communities remains quite small at best.

On the October 3 call, we’ll hear from Dr. Alice Y. Hom, author of Missed Opportunities and director of AAPIP’s Queer Justice Fund. She’ll be joined by two grantees of the Queer Justice Fund: PrYSM in Providence, RI, who also received funding from Funding Exchange’s OUT Fund and the Haymarket People’s Fund, and API Equality-LA, who also received funding from Liberty Hill Foundation.
Get more info on our website (http://fex.org/philanthropy-lgbtq-aapi-communities-looking-into-missed-opportunities) .

Questions? Want call details? Get in touch with me by hitting reply to this email, or call our office at (212) 529-5300 and speak to Becky Rafter at extension 315.

Hope to hear your voice on the phone!

Barbara Heisler,
Executive Director

Our mailing address is: