[IMC] SRO Contract Vote

Raymond Morales rmorales02 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 13 19:24:38 UTC 2013

Dear Mr MacAdam,

There is no Mister over here. It is Dr. Morales. I obtained my PhD in
Biochemistry and will soon have my MD.

Thank you for not even putting a rationale forward as to why such a
fiscally responsible individual agreed to pay for line items in a budget
that you cannot verify (ie $900+ for a radio each year or even the laptop).
Thank you for voting to pay for an officer who actually won't even work. Mr
Orlando Thomas even told you that the CPD would pay for the program if the
Board voted NO against the contract because Chief Cobb was committed to the
program. At the least, from a fiscal perspective, you could have voted NO
and saved the Board funds to use towards education. I mean, they were
already working out of contract since it ended in June. I would have
thought a scholar of your standing would bring economic responsibility to
the table especially as it pertains to dollars used for our most precious
resource - the kids in this community. Show me a study that demonstrates
school resource officers improve safety! Show me that more kids are
graduating and achieving higher accolades thanks to this type of program.
The qualifiers utilized by Mr Thomas to substantiate the proposal for the
contract were downright insulting. I don't even have any children, but the
shear thought that any of these young scholars could be subjected to this
program and that individuals such as yourself feel that you are doing good
for the community by doing this is disheartening. I posit that having
smaller classroom sizes improves outcomes. Having more physical education,
theater, arts and music resources for schools leads to better outcomes. But
cops? No sir. To that argument, I cannot agree and more so when it is done
in such a fiscally callous fashion.

And I did not vote for The Bronx to employ that tactic so I'm not sure why
you quoted that statistic to me. As evidenced by the recent court decision
regarding the unconstitutional Stop & Frisk program that erroneously
criminalized Black and Brown people in NYC, there is reason to be
optimistic that the tide is turning. And once I move back, I will assuredly
continue to educate people that Police in schools do not make it safer and
that it simply leads to criminalizing adolescent behavior at an earlier age
which ultimately leads to more incarceration.

And yes, I've been awarded many grants and scholarships during my time here
including a City of Urbana Arts Grant which *Busey *likely supports so
THANK YOU for your support. As someone who grew up with nothing, I
appreciate everything that I have. But that doesn't buy my vote or my
opinion. Your suggestion that I be more appreciative is simply odd. I grew
up in the poorest congressional district in this great country and I am
here attaining the highest level of education here at your best
Institution. I show my appreciation to my community, the people that paved
the way for me and the people that raised me by advocating using my God
given abilities for what I think is right. If you don't agree, then put
forward a decent argument to the contrary with facts or invite me to a
public meeting where we can engage in discourse. Otherwise, what are you
talking about or trying to accomplish with your obscure comments?

Still shaking my head in disbelief with you all,

Raymond Morales, Ph.D.
MD Candidate Class of 2014

ILL POETS SOCIETY project, Executive Producer
Snippet: http://youtu.be/cAUl6Qq8qV4<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HffBKbcnWls>

Executive Producer & Host, The Show
www.theshow1045.com