[IMC] Nat'l Film Challenge Audience Voting is NOW, A&E Invitational, and Holiday Greetings!

48 Hour Film Project markandliz at 48hourfilm.com
Tue Dec 17 22:12:34 UTC 2013

48 Hour Film Project Newsletter
December 2013
Editor: Brian Bowers

December 48HFP Newsletter

Happy Holidays from 48HFP HQ

Film Challenge Audience Voting Ends Tomorrow!

Make Your New Years Resolution to go to Filmapalooza

Final 2013 City Winners

"Be Original"-48HFP Partners with A&E

A&E Invitational Winners

48HFP Video Gallery

Thanks to our 2013 Sponsors

Happy Holidays from 48HFP

Happy Holidays from the 48 Hour Film Project! We're so grateful for all of our
filmmakers, producers, and film fans all around the world. 2013 has been a
fantastic year for the 48HFP, and we're looking forward to an even better 2014.
Here's wishing you and your families a safe and joyous holiday season.

Best Wishes!

Mark, Liz, Christina, Laura, and Brian

48 Hour Film Project Headquarters Staff

Film Challenge Audience Voting Ends Tomorrow!

From over 120 films submitted for the National Film Challenge, the jury has
narrowed it down to 18 great films in competition for the Audience Choice award!
Now it's your turn to vote for your favorite Audience Choice NFC film by
visiting the following links:

[1][2]

Audience Choice voting will continue until 11:59pm Pacific on December 18th!

All awards will be announced on December 23rd. All films submitted on time, not
just the Audience Choice 18, are eligible for awards.

Make Your New Years Resolution to go to Filmapalooza
[3]Here's a New Year's resolution for you - do something wild and crazy. And
here's a way to do that.  Join us at the [4]2014 Filmapalooza in New Orleans.
On March 6 - 10, just 2 days after Mardi Gras, our 48 Hour Film community is
invited to join us at this one of a kind film festival where our filmmakers from
around the world gather to screen the winning films, attend workshops and of
course, party!  For more information, click [5]here.
Final 2013 City Winners
We wrap up 2013 with our final "congratulations" to all of the Best Film winners
below. All of the winning films from the regular 48HFP will be screened at
Filmapalooza next March. A big congratulations to the four winning films in our
inaugural 48HFP Horror Film Project as well. Thanks to all of our winners and
the rest of our filmmakers from 2013--we can't wait to have you back again next
year!

48 Hour Film Project Winners

"delik"           by süha birben, Istanbul
"Bulb"            by Riyo films, Nairobi
"Baby Snake"      by Passionate Peter, New South Wales
“わたしのお菓子”         by osushi, Osaka
"The Applicant"   by O.B.O, Seoul
"Passengers"      by Beep, Singapore
"The Forest"      by Strays, Shanghai
"Only"            by Retrovision 25, Tirana

48 Hour Film Horror Project Winners

"Halfway House"        by Trifecta+ Entertainment, Albuquerque
"Uncivilized Servant"  by Velvet Buck, Cleveland
"Love Thy Neighbor"    by R Team, Detroit
"Prix Fixe"            by WIC Video, Seattle

"Be Original"-48HFP Partners with A&E

“…people will always like to hear stories about unique characters —that is one
thing that will never change.”

Peter Tarshis
A&E, Executive Producer

“Be Original” is the official tagline of A&E Network. And it’s a fitting
description of the network that introduced the world to its current hits like
Duck Dynasty and Bates Motel. A&E is well known for having some of the top
television programming around. According to Executive Producer Peter Tarshis
that is largely due to A&E’s quest to find original characters in unique
situations. To help them reach this goal A&E partnered with the 48HFP. Last
month, a select group of filmmakers from all around the country were given 48
hours to create short pitch reels for possible reality TV shows (the winners are
announced below). We spoke with Peter Tarshis about the 48HFP partnership, what
he looks for in a pitch reel, and about the future of reality television
programming.

Last month a select number of award winning 48 Hour Filmmakers from around the
U.S. were invited to participate in a special A&E invitational—what was A&E
looking for in developing this relationship with 48HFP? How will these short
films ultimately be used?

We had a few goals in mind when partnering with the 48HFP—we wanted to try to
support young filmmakers, and also to see if we could identify unique new film
talents. Ultimately what we’re seeking for programming at A&E is truly original
characters in unique situations. These 48HFP films are an experiment to look at
different ways of developing this sort of programming.

A&E is really well known now for leading the foray into great reality TV
programming--is this a market that you see continuing to grow in the coming
years?

Reality TV is definitely here to stay. The market will continue to grow, but as
to whether or not it will exist in the current format is anyone’s guess. As with
all film & television programming, things like new technologies and new means of
distribution can change the game. But people will always like to hear stories
about unique characters—that is one thing that will never change.

Because the onus is more on creating the story and less on great technical
skills, is reality television programming an area that is more accessible for a
newer filmmaker to break into?

I guess that depends on the filmmaker’s goals. What type of work each filmmaker
pursues is a combination of hard wiring or point of view. Is it easier to
communicate now in film and video than it was in the past? Absolutely.

Besides the pitches from the 48HFP, you must get hundreds of pitches every week
for potential new shows. What do you look for in a pitch reel? What are some of
the good (and bad) things that stand out as you watch pitches?

What we’re really looking for at A&E is unique characters, unique situations,
interesting points of view on different topics, and of course authenticity as a
filmmaker. It’s a very noisy landscape, with lots of TV shows and other media
formats all competing for people’s attention. Everyone’s got a BS meter, so
it’s got to be authentic.

If a filmmaker turns in a reel for a great idea that’s poorly executed, I hope
we as producers have the insight to see the potential in that idea anyway. A
so-so idea that somebody presents in a great tape, well that filmmaker will
definitely get the team’s attention. Quality counts in putting together your
reels and other pieces. Each film reel, phone call, email, every communication
counts—as a filmmaker you really need to be careful with how you present
yourself.

What are some things we can expect from A&E over the next couple of seasons?

We’re constantly looking to redefine the A&E brand, to make it more dynamic, and
speak more directly to the audience. We’re never complacent, and always
reevaluating our programming. One constant across all the A&E brands is that
we’ve always been really strong storytellers, and there’s no substitute for
that. We always try to be challenging in both our content and our storytelling.
Our goal is to constantly be more compelling, more dynamic.

Finally--any advice for our 48 hour filmmakers from around the world?

Make lots of films! Get them out there for friends, family, and even strangers.
Get lots of feedback. There’s no hiding from what people are telling you but
lots of opportunities for growth. Get involved in the conversation. Be bold.

Peter Tarshis has worked with A&E Networks for over twenty years. He has been
Executive Producer on shows such as The First 48 and Biography, and has been
nominated for 4 Primetime Emmys. To learn more and view A&E’s current lineup,
visit [6]www.aetv.com.

A&E Invitational Winners
The winning films from the A&E Invitational have just been announced! A select
group of award winning filmmakers were asked to create short pitch reels with
unique characters in unusual situations. The executives at A&E deliberated,
debated, and discussed all of the entries at length before selecting the films
below. Congratulations to our winners!
3rd Place Winner: $1,000
Standoff Studios, Atlanta
Concept: "Set in Stone"

2nd Place Winner: $2,500
Bar Sinister Films, Nashville
Concept: "Big Top"

The Winner of the 48HFP AETN Invitational 2013: $5,000
Maple Films, Cleveland
Concept: "Super Pimp"

48HFP Video Gallery
Check out some of our featured Best Films by clicking the video clips below. If
you are a city winning team and would like your video featured, send us the link
to [7]newsletter at 48hourfilm.com. Make sure you review [8]the guidelines for
putting your film online first.

[9]
"Criminals" by Challenge Accepted
Seattle 48HFP

[10]
“SLIGHT” by CAPTURING MOMENTS PRODUCTION
Mumbai 48HFP

[11]
"Overcompensation" by Short Pants Productions
Indianapolis 48HFP

Thanks to our 2013 Sponsors
In a sentence--we couldn't have done it without you! We wanted to wish all of
our sponsors and partners a special Happy Holidays and give a big "thank you"
for helping make our competition such a success!

[12]  [13]

[14][lenspro.png]             [15] [pond5.png]

Get Social!
[16] [png]          [17] [png]           [18] [png]