[IMC] upcoming event...looking for co-sponsors!

Marklein, Melanie Jean mmarkle2 at illinois.edu
Fri Jun 14 18:19:12 UTC 2013

Dear Independent Media Center (UIUC Chapter),
The University of Illinois Counseling Center and McKinley Health Center are partnering with the National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA) to host our first annual NEDA Walk and we need your support! The National Eating Disorders Association organizes NEDA Walks in support of its mission and programs. Proceeds support critical programs and services that work to eliminate eating disorders and improve prevention, treatment, and research. Eating disorders are potentially life-threatening illnesses that afflict more than 30 million Americans, but they are also treatable with your help.
We are excited to be joining this nationwide effort by hosting a local NEDA Walk right here in Champaign-Urbana! The walk will be held on October 5, 2013 on the University of Illinois Main Quad. I have attached our NEDA Walk poster for more information. You can also find more details by visiting the national NEDA Walk website (NEDAWalks.org) or our local website: NEDAWalks.org/champaignurbana2013.
We hope to make this a community-wide event with the help of University of Illinois students and staff, local school districts, businesses, and organizations. The success of this event depends greatly on support from local businesses and university departments. Here are some important ways your RSO could contribute/co-sponsor:

*        Make an online donation! NEDAWalks.org/champaignurbana2013

*        Recruit people in your RSO to participate as a team! You can register your team on the website and then begin fundraising.

*        Register for the NEDA Walk as an individual walker!

*        Help us spread the word! Announce the NEDA Walk in newsletters, on your website, and through social media pages. Search for "C-U NEDA Walk" on Facebook and share our event page. Print the attached poster and help us flyer the campus and community.

*        We need volunteers! The help of volunteers during the planning, promotion, and fundraising stage (i.e., now) and on the day of the walk would be immensely appreciated!
By supporting the NEDA Walk and helping us raise funds, you will be supporting all of NEDA's lifesaving programs. For example, the NEDA Helpline connects millions of people to help and treatment. The Solutions Through Advocacy & Reform (STAR) Program advocates for prevention, funding for research, and access to care at the state and federal level. NEDA Navigators act as personalized guides through recovery and the Parents, Friends, & Family (PFN) Network connects, informs, and supports families of those who struggle. And NEDAwareness Week educates millions on signs and symptoms for early detection and intervention.
I want to thank you for taking the time to read through this letter and considering how the Independent Media Center can support this cause! If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me or the local walk coordinator, Beth Frasca (efrasca at mckinley.illinois.edu<mailto:efrasca at mckinley.illinois.edu>). You can also direct questions to the National Walk Manager (walks at nationaleatingdisorders.org<mailto:walks at nationaleatingdisorders.org>) at NEDA's headquarters.
Once again, thank you for your consideration in becoming a part of the effort in the fight against eating disorders!
Sincerely,
Melanie Marklein, Ph.D.
Clinical Counselor
UIUC Counseling Center

[cid:image001.jpg at 01CE6901.C2D13F60]
Did You Know?

*         In the United States, 20 million women and 10 million men suffer from a clinically significant eating disorder at some time in their life.

*         The number of people who struggle with an eating disorder has been increasing significantly since 1950.

*         Eating disorders don't discriminate. They affect non-Hispanic whites, Hispanics, African-Americans, and Asians at similar rates.

*         Most people with an eating disorder also struggle with one or more other psychiatric disorders which can complicate treatment and make recovery more difficult.

*         Dieting & body dissatisfaction are among the greatest risk factors for the development of an eating disorder.

*         Eating disorders affect over 30 million people, but only receive $28 million in government funding for research. In contrast, Alzheimer's affects 5.1 million people and receives $450 million.

*         The treatment cost of an eating disorder in the United States ranges from $500 to $2,000 a day.

*         35-57% of adolescent girls engage in crash dieting, fasting, self-induced vomiting, diet pills, or laxatives.

*         One-third of teenage boys use unhealthy weight control behaviors such as skipping meals, fasting, smoking cigarettes, vomiting, and taking laxatives.