[IMC] Get on Air! Free Online Training to Start a Community Radio Station this Wednesday

Prometheus Radio Project info at prometheusradio.org
Mon Jun 24 10:33:03 UTC 2013

	 _Please forward widely!_

	 Dear Friends,

	 Last week Prometheus was FEATURED ON THE DEMOCRACY NOW! NEWS HOUR
[1] alongside Ramon Ramirez, President of Oregon's Farmworker
Union (PCUN), also the largest Latino organization in Oregon,
discussing the historic opportunity this year to expand independent
media. The FCC just launched the application process for thousands of
small community radio stations going up for grabs across the country.
It's the first time in more than a decade these noncommercial
stations are becoming available, including for the first time ever in
most urban areas, where a station can reach hundreds of thousands of
local listeners plus stream online. This is the biggest chance in a
generation for communities to own a piece of the broadcast airwaves.

	 FROM OCTOBER 15-29, THE FCC WILL ACCEPT THE APPLICATIONS FOR NEW
COMMUNITY RADIO STATIONS ON THE FM DIAL. Low Power FM broadcast
licenses are free, and only local non-profit groups like civic
organizations, unions, schools and arts groups can apply for them. But
when that two-week window ends, so does our biggest chance to own the
airwaves.

	 THE TIME TO TAKE ACTION IS NOW!

	 June is the final month of outreach in our 15 year campaign to take
back the media, so FILL OUT AN APPLICANT GROUP PROFILE [2] by June 30
if you're with a group that's considering starting a radio
station, in order to be eligible for intensive support from
Prometheus. Fill out an INDIVIDUAL PROFILE [3] if you want to support
the movement, but aren't with a group that wants to start a
station. Please forward this email to others in your networks!

	 REGISTER NOW FOR THESE FREE HOUR-LONG UPCOMING WEBINARS:

	 WEDNESDAY, JUNE 26: GET ON AIR! COMMUNITY RADIO FOR SOCIAL JUSTICE
[4]
 Learn the basics to start or support a community radio station: why
it's important, finding a frequency, costs, eligibility
requirements, steps to apply, support that's available, and
success stories. Our guest speaker is Ramon Ramirez, President of
Oregon's Farmworker Union, which started a radio station in 2006
with help from Prometheus.

	 TUESDAY, JULY 2: HOW TO APPLY FOR AN FCC COMMUNITY RADIO LICENSE [5]
 If you're considering applying for a station, this will provide a
more advanced walk-through of completing the application and avoiding
common errors.

	 SHARE THIS MESSAGE with groups in your network. Follow Prometheus on
Facebook [6] and Twitter [7]. Do you know organizations that need a
voice in the media? Help spread the word!

	 Prometheus has led the 15-year grassroots campaign to get more
voices on the air. We've helped hundreds of groups build stations
[8], and now we're supporting hundreds more to apply and get on
air. We'll help you navigate the FCC process, and connect you with
resources, training materials, and others in your area who you could
collaborate with. But hurry, groups need to fill out an Applicant
Group Profile by June 30 to be eligible for intensive support.

	 Let's all work together to transform the media this year!

	 Electromagnetically yours,
 Jeff Rousset & the Prometheus Team
 215-727-9620
 jrousset at prometheusradio.org

 "Community radio is 90% about community and 10% about radio."
 - Zane Ibrahim of Bush Radio in South Africa

	  [9]

  [10] [11] [12] [13]

  [14]

	  [15]