[IMC] Local Co-op Offers $1000 Sustainable Food Scholarship

Maya Bauer commonground.outreach at gmail.com
Fri Mar 8 18:30:05 UTC 2013

Hello!

I am writing to you in hopes that you, members of your student groups,
and/or affiliated groups will be able to benefit from our Sustainable Food
Scholarship. Common Ground Food Co-op is a community owned grocery store
offering a $1000 scholarship to an undergrad or a local college-bound high
school senior within 100 miles of our store in Urbana. Find Application and
Flyer attached! Thank you so much!

*Scholarship Information:*
The 2013 Sustainable Food Scholarship is $1000. These funds will be paid
directly to the nationally accredited institution of the Scholar’s choice,
to be applied to the Scholar’s 2013 tuition. At the end of the 2013-2014
academic year, the Scholar will submit a short reflection about what they
have learned and how they will apply that knowledge to their commitment to
food sustainability.

*Eligibility:*
*The applicant must have a personal commitment to positively affect
sustainable food systems through their academic discipline.
*The applicant must be a full time college student in the 2013-2014
academic year at any nationally accredited two or four year college or
university.
*The applicant must be an undergraduate student or college bound high
school senior at any high school within a 100 mile radius of Common Ground
Food Co-op during the 2012-2013 school year.

*Application Timeline:*
*March 31: Application deadline. Application filled out as directed and
returned to Common Ground Food Co-op’s Education Coordinator -see contact
information on back- in the store or by email before midnight.
*May 1: The 2013 Sustainable Food Scholar is announced.
*Mid May: The Scholar sends Common Ground the acceptance/enrollment letter
of the nationally accredited institution they will be entering/enrolled in,
informs the institution of the scholarship, and fills out what paperwork
the institution may require for external scholarships. Common Ground will
send the scholarship funds directly to the institution to be applied to the
Scholar’s 2013 tuition.

*Criteria for Selection:*
*The ideal applicant must display his or her personal commitment to create
and implement new solutions to the problems surrounding food sustainability.
*A student who reveals an interest in novel approaches to the issue and/or
an interest in utilizing a non-traditional field of study to bring their
commitment to fruition has a greater chance of being selected.

*

   -

*
*Why a Sustainable Food Scholarship from a Co-op?*

Education is not simply the provision of information to a passive audience
- it is teaching what tools are available to help one engage critically
with the surrounding world. Common Ground aspires to be an educational
resource on food issues for its community, but not one that simply hands
out information. Common Ground wants to be a resource that develops other
educational resources within the community, specifically within an often
overlooked yet vibrant segment of our population: our young adults.

Helping build a more just and sustainable food system is part of Common
Ground’s work and vision, and new voices and perspectives are always
needed. It is a time of great opportunity in the sustainable food movement,
especially where new perspectives are concerned. No longer is the building
of a more equitable food system seen as solely the domain of farmers and
politicians - fields stretching from Applied Arts to Zoology have
applications in the development of sustainable food systems.

Common Ground offers the Sustainable Food Scholarship as a way to meet its
goals of being a community resource and a promoter of sustainable food
systems. This will increase the Co-op’s impact as an educational resource
by helping members of our community educate themselves. In the long term,
the scholarship will impact our community and our food systems by enabling
local young adults to gain knowledge of different fields and apply that
knowledge to food sustainability.

I Look forward to receiving your applications! Please feel free to contact
me with any questions that you might have,
Thanks,

Maya Bauer
Education Coordinator
Common Ground Food Co-op