[IMC] fracking coverage

Stuart Levy stuartnlevy at gmail.com
Thu May 30 16:02:18 UTC 2013

I was there yesterday, and video-recorded most of the press conference.
Speakers included Sandra Steingraber, Jeff Biggers, Mel Lamar (of
Illinois People's Action, I think), Tabitha Tripp (of SAFE,  I think),
Annette McMichael, and others.   Among the comments: that Attorney
General Lisa Madigan is responsible for the regulatory bill, which they
argue is insufficient, and was negotiated without democratic
transparency and without adequate basis in science.  Following the
conference was a march to Madigan's office, and what turned into a very
interesting conversation (also mostly recorded) between Steingraber,
Biggers, and other opponents of fracking, and Mary Morrissey (Madigan's
political director) and Matt, an environmental staff lawyer.

This is a really heartening fight.  The legislative bills - the
regulatory bill above, and another much better one which would provide a
2-year moratorium on fracking in IL - have yet to be voted on, and the
no-chance-in-hell moratorium bill might yet have a chance, thanks
substantially to the public stir raised recently by SAFE and IPA.

I haven't reviewed any of my video yet - some of the press conference
environment was very noisy - but will try to do that and post it if it's
usable.  Will try to write some of this up for the UCIMC web site, somehow.

    Stuart

[P.S. I won't send anything more on this subject to the IMC list, but
will to occupyCU if anyone wants to discuss it there.]