[IMC] We Just Made History

Julia Wierski jwierski at prometheusradio.org
Mon Nov 18 23:03:09 UTC 2013

Together we did it!

At 6pm on November 14, we made media history. Prometheus made it to the Low Power FM application finish line. We supported over 1,000 groups in successfully submitting their applications to the FCC through free tools and resources on our website and via our technical help desk. We worked one-on-one with over 300 community organizations nationwide to help them seize the airwaves and launch a media seachange.

Now we need your support  to get these vibrant new voices on the air! (http://forms.prometheusradio.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9813&qid=786978)

What does this media seachange sound like? It’s the sound of Appalachia promoting sustainable environmental practices and keeping the energy corporations honest. It’s the sound of empowered low-income workers in the Southwest, organizing for better working conditions. It’s the sound of a Southern city de-stigmatizing the diseases ravaging their communities and providing a participatory forum to engage and inform. It’s a Midwestern community organization dedicated to civic involvement and social justice. These groups and hundreds more have their sights set on station building!

What’s next for these applicants? That depends on channel availability where the group applied. For groups who are located in urban areas where the dial is more crowded, these Mutually Exclusive (MX) groups will have some rough waves - riddled with thorny technical and legal hurdles to overcome before moving along to station building.  It’s "all hands on deck" for Singletons (groups applying in areas where the dial is not crowded) and we hope to be building stations with these communities in early 2015. In either scenario - these groups need the support that Prometheus provides to stay afloat as a new wave of community radio crests.

These future stations need us now more than ever -- they are counting on us to help them build the future of community radio. And Prometheus is counting on you. Your gift of $50 today will be another ripple that brings that sea change about.
(http://forms.prometheusradio.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=9813&qid=786978)

 Onward,

Julia & The Staff at Prometheus

P.O. Box 42158