[IMC] 48 Hour Film: Film Challenge is Back, Paris 48HFP Breaks Record, and Machinima 48HFP

48 Hour Film Project markandliz at 48hourfilm.com
Tue Oct 15 18:45:19 UTC 2013

48 Hour Film Project Newsletter
October 2013
Editor: Brian Bowers

October 48HFP Newsletter

National Film Challenge is Back- Bigger and Better than Ever!

Paris 48HFP Breaks Record With 150 Teams

48HFP Video Gallery

September City Winners

Gear Up! LensProToGo

Upcoming 48HFP and Special Competition Dates

Enter the Virtual World of the Machinima 48HFP

The National Film Challenge is Back – Bigger and Better than Ever!

[1]The [2]National Film Challenge is back for 2013 with bigger prizes and a
brand new partner! GoPro, makers of the world’s most versatile camera, is
sponsoring the NFC ‘Most Innovative GoPro Footage Award’. In addition to a $3000
USD prize for Best Film and a $1000 USD prize for Audience Choice, filmmakers
this year could win an additional $3000 USD and a GoPro HERO3+ camera system by
participating in The GoPro Shootout! Filmmakers who have at least 30 seconds of
footage shot with a GoPro camera in their finished film are eligible to win.
Participation in The GoPro Shootout portion of the National Film Challenge is
voluntary – you may shoot with whatever cameras you’d like – but why not give it
a shot with such great prizes on the line?!

The 2013 Best Film will be screened at the Cannes short film corner and the Best
Film and Audience Choice film will be screened at Filmapalooza 2014 in New
Orleans! Join us and your team could win BIG!

For more details, or to register your team now, go to:
[3]http://www.nationalfilmchallenge.org

Paris 48HFP Breaks Record With 150 Teams
[4][jpeg]
This year we have a new record for the 48 Hour Film Project, with an
incredible 150 teams participating in the Paris 48HFP last month. To break it
down, that's roughly 2,250 filmmakers, actors, and crew creating over 900
minutes of films in just two days. What exactly does 150 teams look like? Check
out the video above to see highlights from the Paris Kickoff and Dropoff event.
Special thanks to the Paris producers Olivier Dussausse & Sophie Jouanlong for
putting together this awe-inspiring 48HFP, and to all of the Paris filmmakers
for supporting the 48HFP and making this a fantastic event!
48HFP Video Gallery
Check out some of our featured Best Films by clicking the video clips below. If
you are a city winning team and would like your video featured, send us the link
to [5]newsletter at 48hourfilm.com. Make sure you review [6]the guidelines for
putting your film online first.

[7]
"TechSquad" by Creative Inlet Films
Orlando

"Premier" by Jear Productions
Rotterdam

[8]

"Perfect Companion" by Hidden Track Films
San Antonio

September City Winners
Congratulations to our most recent batch of city winning films!  We're looking
forward to seeing all of these films, along with the other 100 Best Films from
each of our 48HFP cities, up on the big screen at Filmapalooza in New Orleans
next March. Don't forget, the top films screened at Filmapalooza will be
screened at Cannes Film Festival, and one of these films will be crowned the
Best 48 Hour Film in the World for 2013!

Austin                      “Oviparous” by Shuey Blewis and the Booze Cruise

Brisbane                   "Stinky Jim: Defender of Earth" by Team Extreme

Cairo                        "Sign Up" by Bicicletta

Gaborone                  "DOZO" by Dee-Zone Productions

Johannesburg             "Don't shoot the cat'" by Hollyveld

Montreal                    "What Follows" by Vert Ego Productions

Oklahoma City            "The Adventures of Bonzai Bill" by Prairie Lens

Orlando                     "TechSquad" by Creative Inlet Films

Rotterdam                  "Premier" by Jear Productions

Warsaw                      "Złe zabawy" by imgorzejtymlepiej

Gear Up! LensProToGo

[9][jpeg] "We never want to be the largest rental company there is, just the one
with the best customer service"

Last month we introduced you to our new 48HFP international
sponsor [10]LensProToGo. This month we speak with Director of Marketing &
Relations Meg Rodney to learn a little bit more about the rental process, what
LensProToGo has to offer our 48HFP filmmakers, and why you'd even want to
consider renting equipment to begin with.

48HFP:  You seem to have a range of equipment available for rental. Do you have
a top-renting item or items?

Meg: We rent everything from basic Canon and Nikon cameras and lenses to the
C100, C300 and C500 with Zeiss CP.2's and Canon Cine Primes as well as
everything you'd need for video including audio gear, lighting, support systems
like the MoVI and time-lapse equipment from Kessler, underwater housing units
and more. Some of the most popular rental items include the 5DMkIII's, C100's,
the Kessler Cine Drive and MoVI M10. It's pretty rare that we see any of these
items in house for more than a day before they go back out again.

48HFP:  What are the benefits or renting equipment from you as opposed to just
going out and purchasing it?

Meg: Renting allows you to try and use many different pieces of equipment
instead of always just being stuck with what you have. Not every shoot is going
to call for a time-lapse shot, but when it does, we make it super easy to rent
everything you'd need to get it.  Also, many of our customers will try before
they buy to make sure it's actually something that works with what they shoot.
We've all done it when starting out. You get excited and buy a camera and lens
right from the get go…and then find out there is something better… or the camera
you just bought upgraded to something better. Renting allows you to always use
the best, most current gear, there is.

48HFP:    Can you explain the rental process?

Meg: Renting from LensProToGo is extremely easy. You can order online, through
our iOS App or over the phone. Add everything to your cart that you want, change
the dates to be the day you want it to arrive and the day you want to ship it
back and we take care of the shipping time on both ends. We ship everything in
Pelican cases so it's super safe during it's travel to you. In the box we
include a shipping return label so when it comes time to return, you put
everything back in the case, seal it up and attach the return label. Then,
either drop if off at a UPS store or call them to come pick it up!

48HFP:    How far in advance should someone try to rent gear?

Meg: Right now we're in our busy season, so we suggest that as soon as you know
you'll need gear that you place your rental, even if it's weeks in advance. We
have dozens of copies of most everything but with the current large demand
during the wedding season we want to make sure we get you what you want.
Typically, a week's notice is fine, though we recommend more if you can. In the
winter months, a week's notice is, on average, more than enough time.

48HFP:    Since the gear is constantly being shipped and used, what sort of
condition are they in?

Meg: We never want our gear to act old or looked aged so every November we sell
off 80-90 percent of our inventory and restock with all new gear to keep our
cameras and lenses looking sharp and working perfectly. Our gear doesn't look
like typical rental gear. If it comes back beat up, it gets taken out of
inventory and shipped off to be fixed up. Also, shipping in Pelican cases really
protects them while in transit as opposed to bubble wrapping which other
companies do. If you don't believe us, [11]check out this video.

48HFP:    I hear that there's a discount for 48HFP filmmakers--can you tell us a
little bit about that and how they can redeem it?

Meg: Absolutely! We're really proud to have partnered with the 48 Hour Film
Project and are offering 10% off all rentals for all members. Use the
code 48HFP to receive the discount!

48HFP:   Any advice for someone who is renting equipment for the first time?

Meg: Don't let renting gear intimidate you. When talking to people about renting
who haven't before, some people are afraid to use 'other peoples' gear in fear
of damaging it. Treat the gear as you do your own. Have fun, take full advantage
of it, just please don't leave it in your car while parked at a concert in plain
sight in the backseat. That's asking for trouble (and is a true story of a bad
mishap). If accidental damage does happen to the gear (you drop it, run over it
with your car, dog decides to chew on it, etc.) we do have an optional
protection plan you can add on to your order.

Also, if you have questions about gear or a particular shoot, ASK US! We're all
pro shooters and know the gear inside and out so you don't have to. We're here
to make your lives easier so let us help.

48HFP: How are you different from other national or local rental companies?

Meg:  The largest way we are different from local rental companies is that you
never need to get in you car and drive into town to get your gear. You can order
on your couch online and pick it up 5 steps away at your front door. Also,
unlike many local rental shops, we don't require deposits, your first born child
and keys to your car to get the gear. We're shooters too and know the hassle of
putting a multiple thousand dollar deposit on a credit card when you don't have
that type of limit or money available.

We differ from other national rental companies with our large knowledge of both
video and photo gear. We never want to be the largest rental company there is,
just the one with the best customer service. Included in customer service is our
reason we ship in Pelican cases. We're the only national rental company to ship
like this. We want the gear to get to you in 1 piece, not 84! Lastly, we include
round trip shipping in all of our prices so there are no surprises at the end.
We may look more expensive than some companies in the beginning but when they
tack on shipping we're all about the same.

Special thanks go to Meg for taking the time to answer all of our questions. To
learn more and start renting gear today visit [12]www.LensProToGo.com. Plus,
don't forget your code for 10% off the rental price: "48HFP".

Upcoming 48HFP & Special Competition Dates

If you want to make a short film in the next two months, no matter where you are
in the world, we've got a project for you! The 2013 International 48HFP tour
continues to bounce from continent to continent in the upcoming weeks as we have
48HFP competitions in North America, Europe, Asia, and South America. We're
especially glad to welcome Santa Cruz de la Sierra (in Bolivia!) to our roster
for their inaugural 48HFP. The full list of upcoming cities is below and is also
listed [13]on our website.

In addition we have multiple upcoming special competitions, including the 48HFP
Horror Project, Music Video Project, Holiday Film Project, and National Film
Challenge. The list of specialty competitions and participating cities can be
found below.

48HFP Tour Schedule

[14][jpeg]

Special Competition Schedule
October 18th
[15]Horror Film Project                   Cleveland
[16]Horror Film Project                   Albuquerque
[17]48MVP                            San Antonio

November 1st
[18]National Film Challenge          Worldwide

November 8th
[19]Horror Film Project                 Seattle
[20]48MVP                                     Pittsburgh

[21]48MVP                                     New Orleans

November 15th
[22]Holiday Film Project               Buffalo

Enter the Virtual World of the Machinima 48HFP
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[23]
Have a love of virtual worlds? Second Life? World of Warcraft? Then prepare to
go full digital and make a film as part of the Machinima 48HFP, Nov. 8-10th!

Much like the regular 48HFP, teams will receive a genre, a character, a prop,
and a line of dialogue to be included in the film. But in Machinima, all films
must be captured within a motion capture environment (e.g., Open Sim, Second
Life, etc.) and/or animated software machinima (e.g., iClone, World of Warcraft,
Moviestorm, Muvizu, etc.).

The Machinima 48HFP films will also get their own virtual screening at the LEA
Performing Arts, LEA4 in Second Life. The films will be judged for various
awards including Best Film, which will be screened at Filmapalooza in New
Orleans next March and also have a chance to be screened at Cannes! Returning as
a judge again this year will be Tony Dyson, creator of R2-D2 from Star Wars.

Make your mark in the virtual world and register your team here:

[24]http://www.48hourfilm.com/machinima

Get Social!
[25] [png]          [26] [png]           [27] [png]