[IMC] Alert! Champaign County moving quickly to build more jail

Charles Schultz sacrophyte at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 20:58:19 EDT 2014

Good evening,

I passed this along to Champaign County Board Member Pattsi Petrie for her
thoughts on this, and with her permission, I am including her response
below. Please forward as you see fit.

------------ from Pattsi Petrie --------------

Hum-m-m-m, thanks for sharing this. As is often the case there are some
accuracies, some near accuracies, and some inaccuracies.

It is correct that the COW, 15 April, was given a copy of a RFQ that would
be considered the next evening, 16 April, at the facility committee mtg.
The mtg was moved from the usual date that would have been the Tuesday of
the previous week.

It is not accurate that the RFQ was not available to the public, but the
period of time was short. I had sent the RFQ to James Kilgore Tuesday eveing;
however, he was moving so tough timing. Aaron Ammons did speak at the COW
mtg.

It was not the CB or COW that voted on the RFQ, it was the facilities com.
And it was unanimous because it is a RFQ.

Danielle's talking points are good. I keep mentioning to the CPJ that they
ought to stay active, attentive, and visible, as I do with any group
working on an issue..

There are many changes happening in the ether--medicaid, medicare, the
state opening some closed mental hlth facilities--at least one, the
re-entry program, but no pre-trial program. The latter two have little
chance because the SA is not on board right now. It will be hard to
determine just what spaces are needed.

The sheriff wants everything at the satellite jail, his offices, evidence
room, storage spaces, more single cell options for violent and mental
health individuals, inmates who do not get along, etc.

I hope that this gives you a better picture. Indeed, people need to show
up, talk with specific suggestions, point out major past errors that cost
the county, the changing criminal justice environment, etc.

Thanks for asking, P2

P.S. All of the documents are on the county web site--meeting packets, RFQ,
etc

Charles Schultz