[IMC] Press Release: LGBT religious leaders speak out, locals join the conversation

Megan Flowers megan at universityymca.org
Mon Jan 20 16:48:37 UTC 2014

*Press Release*
For Immediate Release
*Tuesday, January 20, 2014*

*For Media Inquiries, contact:*
Megan Flowers, Communications Director
[office: 217-337-1500 cell: 251-209-2615, email: megan at universityymca.org]

*We Have Faith*
LGBT Religious Leaders Speak Out
Through Nationally Touring Photography-Text Exhibit

*[Champaign-Urbana-Il]--* Organized by the Family Diversity
Project<http://familydiv.org/>,
the University Y’s Art at theY program hosts *We Have Faith*. Sponsored by:
C/U PFLAG, Channing-Murray Foundation, Chapel of Saint John the Divine,
Diversity Education, Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Resource
Center, McKinley Presbyterian Church and Foundation, Saint Andrew's Church
and Lutheran Campus Center, Saint Matthew Lutheran Church, Sinai Temple,
Social Action Committee of the Unitarian-Universalist Church of
Urbana-Champaign, UCC Campus Ministry, UIUC Hillel | Margie K. an Louis N
Cohen Center for Jewish Life, University YMCA, UniPlace Christian Church,
Wesley United Methodist Church

<http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-twR5OHG1g8Y/UtW3diwQC-I/AAAAAAAAAUQ/79Y6MwD0hak/s1600/Screen+shot+2014-01-14+at+4.16.58+PM.png>*We
Have Faith* explores the experiences of LGBTQ clergy and religious leaders
from many traditions and denominations including Christians, Jews, Muslims,
and others. They unite their personal stories and histories with their
commitment to peace, justice and civil rights through their work in
religious establishments of all kinds.

*When:* Thursday, January 23, 2014 from 5pm to 7pm

*Where:* Murphy Gallery | University YMCA | 1001 S. Wright Street |
Champaign, IL 61820

*Why: **We Have Faith* is a unique and powerful exhibit teaching people
about why denominations and individuals of faith must stop the hatred and
bulling of LGBT people and youth. The exhibition has been mounted at
universities and places of worship across the country, and seeks to open
minds and hearts.

As previously reported in the news about the Y's budget crunch, the Y is
working to replace 60K in funds revoked by Catholic Campaign for Human
Development. The Y lost these funds because we refused to cut ties with an
organization who supported marriage equality. Through this exhibition, we
continue to engage in this conversation about LGBT inclusion as an
important social justice issue which we believe to be fully in keeping with
our values and moral commitments.

People who come to the opening reception this Thursday, January 23, can
meet University YMCA staff and learn more about they Y's work towards
inclusive communities, stand up for equality, and get involved locally.

"The University YMCA's Art @ the Y program showcases artwork and
exhibitions which provoke thought, reflection, and conversation around many
subjects which converge with the mission of the Y," says Ann Rasmus,
University YMCA Program Director. "Two foci of our mission are Social
Justice, and Faith in Action.  'We Have Faith' is an opportunity for us to
host an excellent exhibition which pairs these two parts of our mission
beautifully."

*Exhibit Background: **We Have Faith *is an exceptional and
thought-provoking resource which supports the movement for the full moral
and legal equality of LGBT people in faith traditions and in society as a
whole.

"We Have Faith: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender People of Faith
Speak Out" is the latest touring photo-text exhibition created by Family
Diversity Projects.  The exhibit includes interviews by Peggy Gillespie of
leading LGBT clergy, allied people, and people of faith and photographs by
Gigi Kaeser-- the same team that created the award-winning "Love Makes a
Family" exhibition.

“For years we have been focused on spreading the word about equality for
all families,” says Peggy Gillespie, cofounder and codirector, with Gigi
Kaeser, of Family Diversity Projects. “What we kept coming back to was a
vast array of homophobia and transphobia, a lot of it coming from religious
organizations.”

So Gillespie, who identifies as queer, and Kaeser, who is straight, set out
to craft an exhibit that would counter the anti-LGBT messages coming from
some religious bodies, featuring LGBT and allied clergy and religious
leaders from a variety of faiths, United Church of Christ, Lutherans,
Methodists, Presbyterians, Episcopalians, Catholics, Jews,
Congregationalists, Pentecostals, Muslims, Mormons, Unitarian
Universalists, Reformed Church of America, MCC, Baptists, and Buddhists. Among
those who appear in it, photographed by Kaeser, are Episcopal bishop Gene
Robinson, Presbyterian minister Jane Spahr, Rabbi Steven Greenberg, and
Imam Daayiee Abdullah, of about 40 in total.

*Additional Information:* Art @ the Y is an initiative of the University
YMCA, 1001 S. Wright Street, Champaign, IL 61820. All Art @ the Y events
are free and open to the public.

###

*About Murphy Gallery:* You may not think of a YMCA as the first place
you’d go to view an art exhibit, particularly one showcasing a unique
variety of work from people who are just starting out, established, or feel
compelled to use art to speak out about and engage people in growing
concerns of our communities.  Murphy Gallery is a space that not only
reflects the work of the University Y towards social justice, environmental
protection, interfaith advocacy, and global engagement, but also encourages
informed action.

Website: www.universityymca.org/art <http://www.universityymca.org/art>

--
Best,