[IMC] NewBlueFX, More City Winners, and Storyboarding Tips

48 Hour Film Project markandliz at 48hourfilm.com
Tue Jul 29 08:02:52 EDT 2014

48 Hour Film Project Newsletter
July 2014
Editor: Brian Bowers

July 48HFP Newsletter

Unleash your story with NewBlueFX

More city winners

Visions are worth fighting for

48HFP-coming soon to a city near you

48HFP Video Gallery

From sketch to screen-the power of storyboarding

Unleash your story with NewBlueFX

Are you familiar with our sponsor [1]NewBlueFX? NewBlueFX offers countless ways
to enhance your film and improve your footage. Check out their sizzle reel and
see what they're all about.

[2]NewBlueFX 2014 sizzle reel

NewBlueFX 2014 Sizzle Reel

More city winners

Berlin filmmakers wrap on set

Hollywood, here we come! Each of the winning films below will represent their
respective cities at Filmapalooza in Hollywood next March. They join the ranks
of Best Film winners that will total 130 films from this year's tour alone. As
the rest of our 48HFP cities wrap up we'll continue to feature the winners here.
Congratulations to all of the winning filmmakers, and we'll see you in
Hollywood!

Asheville                     "Split Decision" by SkullThunderFilms
Beijing / 北京                           “Showtime" by Fat Parrot Legion
Beirut / بيروت‎                                      "Soldier 888" by M23
Berlin                      "Feeling like Erich" by The pit stop
Cincinnati                          "An Interview" by Kartwheel Klub
Dallas                             "Call Waiting" by Team SWAGIT
Greensboro                      "Clocking Out" by Bottom Shelf Films
Houston                             "Tomorrow's Hope" by In Focus
Israel / יִשְׂרָאֵל‎                                           יגון, קבוצת דלק
Jacksonville               "No Laughing Matter" by Argyle Forest Films
Little Rock                   "Sensitivity Training" by Flokati Films
Milwaukee                       "Vile Vial" by Imagination Upgraded
Minneapolis "Keeping Up With The Cloneses" by Two Jackets Productions
Salt Lake City                                     "Dignitas" by Circa 3
San Francisco                            "Fast Forward" by Team Bugbear
Tirane                                "Lata Film Team" with Marihuana Republic

48HFP-Coming soon to a city near you

Filmmakers gather at the Milwaukee 48HFP film screenings

By the end of 2014 the 48HFP will have visited over 130 cities all around the
world. Do you know when it's coming to your town? Check out the schedule below
to see where we'll be next. Coming up in August we'll hit several brand new
cities this year including Lynchburg, Amarillo, Locarno, and Øresund. In
addition we're excited to be going back down south for the newly dubbed
Mississippi 48HFP (formerly known as the Jackson 48HFP). The full updated tour
schedule can always be found at
[3]https://www.48hourfilm.com/en/tour/chronological.php. With competitions in
this many cities around the world, there's bound to be one close to you!

Don't see your city on our tour?

Email [4]newcities at 48hourfilm.com to see

if we can bring the 48HFP to you!

[5]
[6]

48HFP Video Gallery
In each newsletter we feature some of our top 48HFP films from all over the
world.  Now that we have some of our earlier cities wrapped up we wanted to
feature some of our most recent city winning films from this year's tour. Take a
few minutes to check out this set of funny and entertaining films, which also
includes the first ever 48HFP Best Film from Lima. Enjoy, and may these films
serve as inspiration for your own work.

[7]
"Game Day" by Firmament Films
Madison 48HFP, 2014

[8]
"Manolo El Anormal" by Bonzo Films
Lima 48HFP, 2014

[9]

"Swamp Heart" by Light Forge Studios
Las Vegas 48HFP, 2014

From sketch to screen-the power of storyboarding

[10]
"Battle at the Death Star" from Star Wars

So you have that great script, and you have a powerful concept for your film.
But how do you translate the vision in your head into the visuals we see on
screen? Most often through storyboarding. In its most basic form a storyboard is
really just a visual representation of your film; a sort of comic book that
outlines the scenes of the film, shot by shot.

​Twenty years ago a director would dare not start a project without a carefully
crafted storyboard for each scene. With the expenses involved in shooting and
developing film stock, each shooting day needed to be meticulously planned to
make the most of the budget and shooting schedule. But even with the advent of
digital filmmaking storyboarding is still an essential tool because it allows
the director to be able to share his vision with the designers, crew, and actors
before shooting even begins.

Cartoonist Ben Caldwell has some great [11]storyboarding tips that he shared
with the website No Film School. Caldwell had created a series of storyboard
tests for Dreamworks several years ago, and they gave him some pretty specific
advice that included making sure that your storyboards include 3-point
perspective whenever possible (to show the depth in each shot), and to lay down
a "grid" to ground characters in storyboards, so they don't appear to be
floating in mid-air.

Storyboarding is important enough even in today's digital filmmaking world that
the Director's Guild of America (DGA) features a [12]"Drawing Board" column in
their periodical DGA Quarterly. They feature the original storyboards of famous
movies so you can see how the film took the director's vision and translated it
into the now-famous scenes in the movie. We've linked to a few of our favorites
below.

Whether you're making a multi-million dollar feature or a low-budget short,
storyboarding remains a valuable tool to bring the director's vision to life on
screen.

[13][14][15]
"Napalm in the morning" from Apocopalypse Now "Wall of Sound" from The Sound of
Music "Scared to Death" from Psycho​

Get Social!
[16] [png]          [17] [png]           [18] [png]

View web version