[IMC] The Cannes Experience, "Funny or Die" 48HFP Filmmaker Web Series

48 Hour Film Project markandliz at 48hourfilm.com
Tue Jun 24 08:33:01 EDT 2014

48 Hour Film Project Newsletter
June 2014
Editor: Brian Bowers

June 48HFP Newsletter

The Cannes Experience

2014 Summer Tour Dates

48HFP Flashback-Director Dennis Dugan

48HFP Video Gallery

Early Tour City Winners

48HFP Filmmaker Web Series Picked Up by "Funny or Die"

The Cannes Experience

48HFP filmmakers pose for a group shot on the beach

It is the dream of many filmmakers to walk the red carpet at [1]Cannes Film
Festival, and last month that dream came true for 15 of our 48HFP teams. The
67th Festival de Cannes was attended by filmmakers, producers, actors, and film
lovers from all over the world, including a group of over 40 that represented
the 48HFP. These individuals had a chance to bond as a group as they attended
the screenings, parties, and events at Cannes in one of the most worthwhile
events of their lives. Here's what a few of the 48HFP'ers in attendance had to
say about their Cannes experience:

Going to cannes was like the best dream I did not even know I ever had.

My Cannes experience was amazing! As this was my 4th time, I know how the
festival works, I know quite some people there and I know where the fun is! I've
learned that being here and enjoying yourself is a lot more important than doing
all the things you think you should be doing. Of course it's work as well- go to
meetings, do what you came to do, but keep the fun in it and let the festival
and universe take you places!

This was my first time attending Cannes and I'm treating it like a stepping
stone.  I made lots of great connections there and got some great insight into
the business end of film.  I think our film was successful because of the
amazing team of talented people we had around us.

Making connections...

If you really want to meet the right people in the market to sell your film
there is a secret book that is chained to the wall at the bottom of the
escalator in the Marche. Use it like a phone book to find the people you should
talk to. It's very valuable and actually in fact protected by a security guard.
We did not discover the importance of this book until the very last day when
almost everyone listed in the book had gone home.

Walking the red carpet...

Always carry a dress or a tux and nice shoes with you if you want to walk the
red carpet. I saw people turned away because they did not have the right shoes.
No joke. Also always wear your badge. Even if it does not match your dress and
you are not inside the festival village. It is a conversation opener and
distinguishes you from the tourists (of which there are many).

Rolling out new red carpet, because one cannot have celebrities walking on day
old red carpet.

Lela Winton and Katie Damien successfully crashing a party.
Hanging out with other 48HFP filmmakers...

It's great that you already have something in common. A common ground to start
from. An experience to talk about. Plus, a lot of us already knew each other.
It's a safe group of amazing people to hang out with!

Meeting the other 48 Hour Film Project winners was really cool. It feels like we
are all in the same club. If you love to watch short films (the best way to
improve your own short films I might add ) make sure you study the catalog and
go to some of the other screenings of short film blocks presented by other
groups.

Special thanks to the filmmakers for sharing their memories of Cannes: Katie
Damien and Lela Stephens-Winton (Gorilla with a Mustache Films, winners of the
National Film Challenge), and Tess Löwenhardt (Heynde & Van Verre, Utrecht
48HFP).

We're proud of all of our filmmakers and thrilled to be able to offer the
opportunity to showcase their films at this respected and renowned festival. We
wish all of this year's 48HFP filmmakers best of luck as they strive to have a
Cannes experience of their own.

Video: Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera vs Canon 5diii

About to make a new camera purchase for your upcoming 48?  Check out this quick
comparison of 2 cool cameras, by our partner [2]LensProToGo.   Not ready to
commit?  Rent first! 48HFP participants get a 10% discount - all year! Just use
the new code 48HRFILMPROJECT and leave your team name in the order notes to
verify you are part of the project!

[3][png]

Summer 2014 Tour Dates
As we roll into the summer we have finished the first leg of this year's tour.
There's plenty of 48HFP fun to come, including upcoming competitions in U.S.
cities like Greensboro, Little Rock, and Miami, and international cities as far
away as Tirana and Beirut. The first weekend in July we'll be celebrating
Independence Day in the U.S. while our first ever 48HFP kicks off with one of
our neighbors up north, Ottawa. There are still cities that haven't finalized
dates yet, but remember that the most up to date schedule can be found at
[4]https://www.48hourfilm.com/en/tour/chronological.php.

Posing for selfies at the Dijon 48HFP screenings

Don't see your city on our tour?

Email [5]newcities at 48hourfilm.com to see

if we can bring the 48HFP to you!

[6][jpeg]
[7][jpeg]

48HFP Video Gallery
In each newsletter we feature some of our top 48HFP films from all over the
world.  This month showcases a selection of Best Films from our 2013 tour, all
of which screened at Filmapalooza in New Orleans this past March. City winners
from our 2014 tour will be screened in the heart of the filmmaking world,
Hollywood! Enjoy the movies below, and may they serve as an inspiration to keep
your creative filmmaking juices flowing.

[8]
"ESC" by Sjoerd de Bont
Breda 48HFP, 2013

[9]
"#conniesflat" by Breaking Point Flix
Eedinburgh 48HFP, 2013

[10]

"The Wand" by 7th & Constance
New Orleans 48HFP, 2013

Early tour city winners

Now that we're well into our tour it's time for everyone's favorite part of the
48HFP--announcing the winners! Below are the list of movies that have won Best
Film in each of their respective cities. We'll continue to feature the winners
as we progress through the year. Will your film end up on this list? You've got
to register to win! Next up for these films--Hollywood! Each of these films will
screen next March at Filmapalooza. Congrats to all of our winners!

Jaffna Awards Presentation

Amsterdam                    "POP!" by take 23
Boston               “Driven”  by Brainfox/In the Car
Breda             "Reconstructie" by ArtsvandenBoogaard
Dijon            "Bienvenue chez vous" par Les Parasites
Edinburgh    "And Not A Word Was Spoken" by Napalm In The Morning
Jaffna                   "Kuruvaddu" by Rajestone
Katowice            "Ostatni strzał” by MB Group Films
Las Vegas           "Swamp Heart" by Light Forge Studios
Lima               "Manolo el anormal" por Bonzo Films
Madison                "Game Day" by Firmament Films
Nijmegen                "Rust" by Worldvisuals Film
St. Louis              “EVT" by Anonymous Productions
Tours              "Amour Artificiel" par Les Parasites
Washington, DC           "Mouse Dad" by Crash of Rhinos

48HFP filmmaker Web Series Picked Up by "Funny or Die"[11]

When Matt Saraceni and Dave Zwolenski got the email from [12]"Funny or Die" they
thought it was spam. Fortunately they recognized it as legit and followed up to
find that the uber-popular website started by Will Ferrell was interested in
hosting Saraceni and Zwolenski's web-based improv comedy series "Written it
Down." The show had received over 40,000 web hits in 48 hours after it was
picked up by Reddit.

"Written it Down" features a series of short improv-based episodes created on a
shoestring budget. Sound familiar? Zwolenski had plenty of experience working in
this short film format, having used it to win Best Film in the 2006 Brisbane
48HFP for their film "Psycho the Musical the Documentary." And the rest, as they
say, is history. After "Written it Down" was picked up by Funny or Die it
quickly garnered attention from viewers all around the world. Saraceni and
Zwolenski used their newfound success to enter the Fresh Blood competition. As
one of 25 winners they were awarded a $10,000 budget to create another season of
"Written it Down."

Just check out the show's trailer in this article and you'll see exactly why the
show is so popular. For more information and to view the first two seasons visit
[13]http://writtenitdown.com.

Get Social!
[14] [png]          [15] [png]           [16] [png]

View web version