[IMC] 48HFP'ers in Project Greenlight, the Horror Project returns, ITVFest, and more

48 Hour Film Project markandliz at 48hourfilm.com
Tue Sep 2 13:11:51 EDT 2014

48 Hour Film Project Newsletter
August 2014
Editor: Brian Bowers

August 48HFP Newsletter

48HFP filmmakers go for the Greenlight

48HFP Horror Project-Stalking a city near you!

Best films from across the world

Words and ideas can change the world

Last quarter tour dates

ITVFest features the best New England 48HFP films

48HFP Video Gallery

48HFP filmmakers go for the Greenlight[1]

The dream of many filmmakers is to be discovered and move on to bigger and
better projects. That dream is one step closer to reality for a few of our own
48HFP filmmakers through the return of [2]Project Greenlight (PGL). Produced by
A-listers Matt Damon and Ben Affleck, PGL is a TV show that gives first time
filmmakers the chance to direct their very own feature film. Premiering in 2001,
the show aired for three seasons, and returns to HBO after a nine year hiatus.

The films are selected through several rounds of judging. For the first round,
the thousands of 1-3 minute short films that were submitted have now been
whittled down to the top 200 via online peer judging. Though the list of the top
200 films has not been made public, we've found out through the grapevine that
at least two of our 48HFP filmmakers made the cut--Mike Brueggemeyer of San
Diego and Tony Lazzeroni of Washington, D.C.

We spoke with Tony Lazzeroni. His PGL submission was a stripped down episode
from his [3]"Ugly Hollywood" web series. "By the time we found out about the
submission deadline we were pressed for time," stated Lazzeroni. "Our team
talked it over and we decided that we didn't have time to create something new
for Project Greenlight. Also it seems like they're leaning more towards
producing a comedy during this season and we really thought "Ugly Hollwood"
would be a great fit."

Their 48HFP team, Crowded Elevator Pictures, had competed in the D.C. 48HFP for
several years. They've also worked on other projects in addition to their "Ugly
Hollywood" series. Lazzeroni feels that the 48HFP experience has helped them to
become better filmmakers. "The 48HFP is great because it taught us how to be
adaptable and make changes on the go." It's also helped them to really focus in
on becoming better storytellers on film. "Our early 48HFP films didn't have a
lot of story structure. A lot of the scenes don't really go anywhere." One of
the most valuable things they've learned from participating in the 48HFP is to
make sure the story has a definite beginning, middle, and end, even in a short
film. "No film can be good if it doesn't have a strong story."

The next step for Lazzeroni and Brueggemeyer in Project Greenlight is to submit
a comedic bio. PGL will use these to determine which filmmakers will make it
into the next round. The top 20 films will be announced by Project Greenlight
and posted on their website by September 15th. From there the public will be
able to vote on which filmmakers they would like to see have a shot at turning
their film into a feature.

For more information visit [4]http://www.projectgreenlight.com. Best of luck to
Brueggemeyer and Lazzeroni and their teams. If you are also one of the 200
Project Greenlight finalists, please [5]send us an email and let us know.

48HFP Horror Project-Stalking a city near you!

[6]Do you like to be scared? Does gore get you going? Then the [7]48HFP Horror
Project may be just what you need to take your macabre movie-making to a whole
new level of terror. We rolled out the 48HFP Horror Project last year in just
four cities and it returns in 2014 to ten cities around the U.S.

Similar to the regular 48HFP, the Horror Project challenges filmmakers to create
a movie in just 48 hours, except this time in a genre of horror films ranging
from zombie films to creature feature to thriller and more. Filmmakers will all
asked to include certain elements as well, which could be anything from a
character, line, and prop, to a location or even a weapon--elements are slightly
different in each participating city.

Registration is open in cities now, and all cities kick off right around our
favorite spooky holiday, Halloween. View the 48HFP Horror Project tour schedule
and all of the rules at [8]http://48hourfilm.com/horror/ to find out when we'll
be scaring the living daylights out of a city near you!

Best Films across the world

Lynchburg filmmakers accept their Best Directing award

Hyderebad filmmakers celebrate at the Dropoff

Kudos to the latest batch of "Best Films" from all around the world, as listed
below. These films represent the best of the best from the four corners of the
U.S.--Seattle to Portland, Maine, and from Miami to San Diego, and everywhere in
between; as well as all around the globe, from our neighbors up north in Canda
(Ottawa), all the way to Spain (A Coruña), and as far away as India (Hyderabad).
The 48HFP truly represents the global filmmaking community. We look forward to
seeing all of these films and meeting our 48HFP filmmakers from across the globe
as we converge upon the capitol of the worldwide filmmaking
community--Hollywood. We look forward to seeing YOU next March at
[9]Filmapalooza.

A Coruña      "Los Soprimos" by Mastín Burton Productions
Albuquerque            "Imagining Vera" by Lumos Productions
Austin                        "Songbird" by Match Point
Baltimore             "Beauty" by Freida by EMP Collective
Brașov                      "Fashion race" by Phenomena
Cleveland                "The Curator" by Quick & Painless
Des Moines                     "Muddy Water" by O Town Opus
Detroit                      "Fin" by Control Alt Delete
Hampton Roads                    "Special Delivery" by BrainCo
Hyderabad            “CONSPIRACY” by TWENTY PIXEL PICTURES
Indianapolis                     "Wagon Trail" by ShortPants
Kansas City                   "Malevolent" by Team NocTurtle
Louisville               "Pride on the Ropes" by Team Team!
Lynchburg                          "The Gambit" by Abandon
Memphis             "Sanctum" by Raines Down Productions
Miami                "Tempo" by Four Actors One Camera
Nashville   "Contrary to Likeness" by Paper Ghost Pictures
New Hampshire                           "Empty Room" by Jetbed
Ottawa                    "Alice" by Absurd Productions
Paducah       "Sixteen Twenty Seven" by Socially Present
Pittsburgh    "Last Man Standing" by Gaff Tape and a Prayer
Portland, Maine   "P-Town Peeps" by Through The Door Productions
Providence        "Time is the New Travel" by Wax Idiotical
Richmond                            "Lexxxus" by FILMIAMO
San Diego               "A Good Ol’ Chap" by A Focus Group
Savannah                       "Say Yes" by Lavery Family
Seattle                "I, Charon" by Challenge Accepted
Tours              "Amour Artificiel" by Les Parasites

Robin Williams

1951-2014

"...for in that sleep of death, what dreams may come,

when we have shuffled off this mortal coil, must give us pause."

--William Shakespeare

Last quarter tour dates

Rotterdam filmmakers navigate a tight location

As we move into the fall months here in the U.S. we are about to enter our final
few months of this year's tour. Below is our current schedule through the end of
the year. We're especially excited to kick off the inaugural 48HFP in September
for Tunis, Aberdeen, Bern, and Locarno, as well as a return to Ho Chi Minh City
after a year hiatus. No dates for your city yet? Be sure to check back at
[10]https://www.48hourfilm.com/en/tour/chronological.php as we finalize plans
for our remaining 48HFP cities. Did we miss your city this year? Email
[11]newcities at 48hourfilm.com to see if we can add you to next year's tour.

Don't see your city on our tour?

Email [12]newcities at 48hourfilm.com to see

if we can bring the 48HFP to you!

[13][jpeg]

ITVFest features the best New England 48HFP films

[14][Independent_Television_Festival_Logo.jpg] The 9th annual [15]Independent
Television and Film Festival (ITVFest) kicks off September 26-28 in Dover,
Vermont and will feature six of the top 48HFP films from New England. Through a
special partnership ITVFest will screen the films along with other independently
produced film, television, and web content from around the world. In addition to
screening the films, ITVFest will award a special "Best 48 Hour Film of New
England" award along with $2,000--half as a cash prize, and half as a travel
stipend for winning the filmmakers to attend Filmapalooza next March. Below is
the list of 48HFP films screening at ITVFest:

"Driven" by Brainfox/In the Car, Boston

"Empty Room" by Jetbed, New Hampshire

"Past Poets Now" by Good Natured Dog Productions, New Haven

"Reset" by Armada Films, New York

"P-Town Peeps" by Through The Door Productions, Portland, ME

"Time is the New Travel" by Wax Idiotical, Providence

ITVFest is unique in that it was the first festival to focus on independently
produced TV content--including television shows, web series, multimedia content
and short films. The festival hopes to not only showcase a very select group of
filmmakers and content creators (ITVFest only screens 40-50 films out of the
thousands that submit), but also help connect those same filmmakers with
distributors and investors in the hopes of giving their project a future beyond
ITVFest. In addition to the screenings there are panel discussions throughout
the festival that feature big name media professionals from places like Starz
Digital, the Writer's Guild of America, DailyMotion, Indiegogo, along with our
New Haven 48HFP producer Trish Clark.

Badges and tickets for ITVFest are still available. For more information visit
[16]http://www.itvfest.com.

48HFP Video Gallery
In each newsletter we feature some of our top 48HFP films from all over the
world.  In this issue we're showcasing several of the recent city-winning films
as listed above, including our first ever Best Film from the inaugural Lynchburg
48HFP. Enjoy!

[17][jpeg]
"The Gambit" by Team Abandon
Lynchburg 48HFP, 2014

[18][jpeg]
"Last Man Standing" by Gaff Tape and a Prayer
Pittsburgh 48HFP, 2014

[19][jpeg]

"Songbird" by Match Point
Austin 48HFP, 2014

Get Social!
[20] [png]          [21] [png]           [22] [png]

View web version