[IMC] 48HFP Website Gets a Facelift, Use #48Filma To Follow The Filmapalooza Action, 5 Lies About Filmmaking, And More!

48 Hour Film Project markandliz at 48hourfilm.com
Thu Feb 19 12:17:13 EST 2015

48 Hour Film Project Newsletter
February 2015
Editor: Brian Bowers

February 48HFP Newsletter

www.48hourfilm.com Gets a Facelift!

Filmapalooza Countdown

Use #48Filma to Follow the Filmapalooza Action

"It's Your Town" Films-Vote Through Feb. 26th

Quick Tip: Scout Locations to Prep For Audio

48HFP Movie Gallery

2015 Tour Dates Are Being Set Right Now!

5 Lies About Filmmaking

www.48hourfilm.com gets a facelift!
If you've checked out the 48 Hour Film Project website recently you may
have noticed some changes. We're excited to announce that our website is
getting a facelift! We think the new design is clean and modern, and will
be a great way to showcase all of our talented 48HFP filmmakers. Besides a
new look, the new website has some additional features such as a "Latest
News" section and simplified navigation that makes it easier to find the
information you may need.  But the biggest and most exciting new feature is
the addition of 48HFP films showcased throughout the website. The
city-winning films from 2014 are up now, and we'll continue to add the top
films throughout the year to our movie gallery at
[1]http://48hourfilm.com/films.

As of now the website is still under construction--the pages for the
individual cities are still in the older format as we continue to make
improvements. We will continue to make changes to the site as we roll out
these new features. We hope you enjoy the new website.

Check out the new website now at [2]http://48hourfilm.com.

We're just one week away from the start of the 48HFP's signature event,
[3]Filmapalooza! This is the 48HFP's end-of-year international film
festival, where we screen all of our 2014 city winning films, present
panels and workshops, and attend parties in an action-packed weekend. This
year almost 450 filmmakers will join us at this sold-out event from all
around the world as we head to the filmmaking capitol, Hollywood, CA.

Event and Screening Schedule

Highlights of Filmapalooza include a filmmaker Meet & Greet, Paramount
Studios tour (optional), workshops and panelists in writing, film finance,
and movie pitches, Karaoke night, comedy night, and more. Theout the
[4]tentative schedule and [5]screening schedules are here. All of our
screenings take place at the historic TCL Chinese Theatres (formerly
Grauman's Chinese Theatre).

Follow the Filmapalooza action with #48Filma
Can't make it to Filmapalooza? You can still follow all of the fun by
searching for #48Filma on your favorite social media channel. Filmapalooza
attendees will be posting photos, videos, and tweets throughout the weekend
using our official hashtag. Follow along on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram
so you can get a taste of the Filmapalooza experience for yourself.

Learn more about this and previous Filmapalooza festivals at
[6]http://www.48hourfilm.com/filmapalooza/.

Filmapalooza Sponsors
Monumental events like Filmapalooza are made possible in part by the
generous support of our sponsors. Please help us in thanking the sponsors
below that will help to make this year's Filmapalooza an outstanding event
for all of our filmmakers.

[7][jpeg]

"It's Your Town" Films- Vote through Feb. 26th

Last month we announced the return of the New Amsterdam Vodka and 48HFP's
[8]"It's Your Town" films. These films were all created in select U.S.
cities as a part of a film invitational sponsored by New Amsterdam Vodka.
The winning films from each of those cities are now in the running for "The
People's Pick" online contest.

The films are now all hosted in a special [9]video gallery on Facebook.
Registered Facebook users can vote for their favorite "It's Your Town" film
(limit one vote per person per day) between now and Feb. 26th. The film
with the most votes at that time will win a $2000 cash prize courtesy of
New Amsterdam Vodka.

Take a minute now to view the films and cast your vote at
[10]https://www.facebook.com/newamsterdamspirits/app_1382579798718410.

Quick Tip: Scout Locations to Prep for Audio
Many filmmakers are well versed in creating beautiful images to tell the
story in their film, but many times audio is an after-thought. Don't forget
that sound is 50% of your film. Capturing great sound during production is
always the best solution, but don't forget to plan ahead. Send your audio
technician to scout out locations to make note of ambient noises, and any
potential unexpected sounds (is there a train that runs nearby, or is the
location near a highway that will be disruptive during rush hour?). Make
sure there is a clear plan for the scene blocking ahead of time so your
audio technician can determine the best way to capture the audio and bring
along the proper mics and equipment.

"The Ladykiller" by Admit One, Kansas City, 2008

[11]48HFP Movie Gallery

In each newsletter we feature some of our top 48HFP films from all over the
world.  The films below were shot thousands of miles apart but will play
side by side on the silver screen of the historic TCL Chinese Theatres in
Hollywood. These are just a small taste of the many great 48HFP films we'll
be screening at next week's Filmapalooza! Check out more of the top 48HFP
films at [12]http://48hourfilm.com/films.

[13][jpeg]
"Game Day" by Firmament Films
Madison 48HFP, 2014

[14][jpeg]
"Serum" by Screen Grab
Aberdeen 48HFP, 2014

[15][jpeg]

"The Curator" by Quick & Painless
Cleveland 48HFP, 2014

[16]2015 Tour Dates are Being Set Right Now!

It's only just over six weeks into the new year, but our 48HFP Producers
have already been hard at work making preparations for this year's tour.
We're on track to be in over 135 cities around the world this year, and in
speaking to our producers and hearing all of the great plans they're
making, we just know that 2015 will be the best year for 48HFP yet! Below
is just a short list of cities that have announced and posted their
competition dates, but as events and screenings get confirmed we are
announcing new dates almost daily. If you don't see your 48HFP city in the
list below, fear not--keep checking the most up to date listing at
[17]http://48hourfilm.com/locations to find out when the 48HFP will be
coming to your city!

Côte d'Azur
Huntsville
Nijmegen
Tours
Clermont-Ferrand
Washington, DC
Boston
Edinburgh
Jacksonville
Lisbon / Lisboa
Greensboro
Cleveland
New Haven
Rotterdam      Mar 27
Mar 27
Mar 27
Apr 3
Apr 21
May 1
May 1
May 22
Jun 5
Jun 19
Jul 10
Jul 10
Jul 24
Aug 21

5 Lies about Filmmaking
In an industry fueled by multi-million dollar budgets, Hollywood delusions,
and ever-changing politics, it's easy to get caught up in the many
misconceptions of the filmmaking process. Even in speaking with lifelong
seasoned filmmakers that have seen commercial success, you'd be hard
pressed to get solid advice from any one person as to what industry Do's
and Dont's will pave the way to a long and fruitful career making films.
The great thing in working with our 48HFP filmmakers throughout the years
is seeing filmmakers create great work again and again despite not having
the "silver spoon" of a major Hollywood studio supporting them. As we
compare the stories of what the public hears about the filmmaking industry,
versus what we have seen our own 48HFP filmmakers do, we've identified
these 5 lies about filmmaking.

Lie 1: You need to go to film school
Quentin Tarrantino, the Wachowski siblings, James Cameron, Akira Kurosawa,
Stanley Kubrick...the list of now-famous directors who didn't attend film
school carries a pedigree of hundreds of filmmakers whose films have
grossed billions of dollars, along with worldwide fame. Not to say that
film school doesn't have its value. Certainly no one would argue the fact
that studying up on story structure, film theory, and editing techniques
will only help to inform your creative vision. However there's also a lot
to be said about the hands-on training that can only come from actually
making films instead of studying about it.

Tangerine Photo courtesy of Sundance Institute/Radium

Lie 2: You need expensive gear
We live in an era where technology rapidly changes, and the technology used
in filmmaking is no exception to this rule. Even a decade ago it would have
been unrealistic for a starting filmmaker to buy a top of the line camera,
but these days anyone can walk into a camera store and purchase a brand new
4K camera and cinematic lens capable of producing beautiful footage that
would rival any professional level 35mm video camera. Some filmmakers don't
even need that--the film industry was set ablaze recently at Sundance Film
Festival when it came out that Sean Baker's feature film Tangerine [18]was
shot entirely on iPhone 5s. Bottom line--you probably have access to all of
the gear you need already, so don't let that be an excuse.

Lie 3: If you shoot it, they will come...
You've got the great script, you've created your masterpiece, so now you're
destined for overnight success, right? Reality check--now that the film is
in the can you've only really just begun your work. If you don't take
initiative to market your film, then it's probably destined for a long,
lonely shelf-life in a dusty back room. Talent as a director does not
equate with the success of your film. Marketing the film should be
considered at the onset of the process, and as important as your script or
storyboarding. Whether you find a sales agent or try one of the numerous
DIY self-distribution options available today, you should still plan on
being as involved in the marketing of your film as you were in the
production of it.

Lie 4: It takes a long time to make a film
Well, if you've already competed in the 48 Hour Film Project then you know
that this isn't true. Remember that time equals money; even if you're doing
everything yourself, the longer it takes you to finish the film means the
less time you have to promote it. Filmmakers are notorious for trying to
tweak every shot to perfection, but the reality is that the vast majority
of people will never even notice those small details. Your film will never
be perfect, so it's better to push out a film that's 90% done then hold
things up trying to gain that ever elusive final 10% of perfection.

Lie 5: A bigger budget buys you a better film
Admittedly, it's great to have money to fall back on when you need it. But
a bigger budget does not necessarily buy you a better film, and often those
extra dollars end up getting wasted on things that don't necessarily help
tell the story. Films like The Blair Witch Project, Paranormal Activity,
and Napoleon Dynamite all blew up into huge commercial success stories
despite having moderate to little budget. And of course the opposite is
also true--the number of multi-million dollar budget films that only ever
earn back a fraction of that revenue is too long to list here.
The fact of the matter is that despite the rumors, miconceptions, and
outright lies, filmmaking has never been more accessible as it is right
now. It is often the filmmakers that don't have the big budget or the best
equipment that are the ones that tell the best stories. Director Jason
Reitman (Juno, Up in the Air) spoke at a previous Filmapalooza and said it
best: "There is no excuse to not make your film."

Get Social!
[19] [png]          [20] [png]           [21] [instagram-icon.png]

View web version