[Imcamericorps] MLK day: Peace Band!

Jacob Barton udderbot at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 13:37:32 CST 2009

Hi,

I just submitted the following for a service project at MLK school:

instruments out of recycled and donated materials to form a "Peace
Band". The band will learn songs of peace and perform them in
February.

date: 1/19/10
location: MLK Elementary School
time: 8:15 a.m.
volunteers needed: 5-10 assisting kids in small construction projects

The description put in was preliminary, and limited to 200 characters,
just so the National Day o' Service folks have something about it.

The real details are less worked out than we'd like at this point:

- On the 18th we could have an instrument building day hosted by
ODDMUSIC at the IMC for the community (MLK students invited too), and
from there generate community interest in the Peace Band project.
Katy, do you want to help me organize this?

- Cara Maurizi does some music classes in the mornings on the 19th
(and for 6 weeks later) and there's no confirmation yet on integrating
"peace band" into her curriculum plans. It's likely to work out,
though I'm guessing I won't hear back from the school at all until
after Jan. 4th.  But I'm not back in the states until the 8th...can
someone help?

- Assembly in February for Peace Band, still unscheduled.

- Art supplies drive is still on, maybe to begin it on MLK day and run
it through Feb...?  Shall I submit that as a separate event?  Can
someone take the lead on this?  We'll need help getting the word out,
and figuring out the logistics of collecting donations...

- Building a stage is still a GREAT idea for MLK school; actually
doing it is postponed, for now.

That's all for now.  I'm starting to realize that not much will happen
on this for a while, and maybe I should go make some Christmas cookies
or something.  Have a good week everybody!

Jacob