[Imcamericorps] Children's Arts Festival Meeting

Katy Vizdal katyvizdal at gmail.com
Tue Mar 16 17:10:23 CDT 2010

Hello Everyone,

Thanks to everyone that made it to the first meeting last week. I think that
we've come up with a lot of really promising ideas so far!  I would like to
have another meeting next week so if everyone could please send me their
available for March 24th - 26th I will schedule the most convenient time for
all of us.

Below is the agenda from the last meeting with updates.  Please let me know
what area people are interested in working on/can contribute to so I can get
an idea.  If anyone is out of town next week and would like to meet
individually send me an e-mail with your availability as well.

####

*CHILDREN'S ARTS FESITVAL*

Saturday, May 8th, 2010

UC-Independent Media Center

202 S. Broadway – Urbana

The Children's Arts Festival will be a day of opportunities for children to
experience new outlets for self-expression through art, music, and media
workshops and to also share their talents with each other in performances
throughout the day.

Immediate Needs for the Children's Arts Festival:

   - Finding an artist that will design the promotional materials
   - Reaching out to the schools to get art classes involved with the art
   display & parade floats
   - Finding more groups to perform at the festival
   - Finding interested artists to conduct workshops that day

Ideas/Workshops Proposed:

  Urbana Free Library collaboration including Creative Writing workshops to
be acted out May 8th by local youth theater group

  Center for World Music - instrument try it tent (Gamelan, drums, etc.) -
to be determined by Philip Yampolsky, Director of the UIUC Center for World
Music

  Children-performance groups ( * Open slots available * )

  Open Mic for public, unplanned performance opportunities

  UBA-Artwork display at Urbana businesses  (Contact: Katie Hansen)

 Pinata/seed growing workshop - (Contact Jessica Roberts)

 'Zine making workshop - (Contact: Chris Ritzo)

  Parade including on-site crafted puppetry, instruments, and floats on the
sidewalks of downtown urbana.

Ideas presented at the meeting:

*WRFU (104.5 Urbana) will broadcast narratives / performances by the
children (contact: Carly Nix)

*The Bike Project - some sort of bike decorating project (contact: Emma
Barnes)

*We will have a booth at the Farmers Market that morning to bring people
over to the festival (contact Claire Cannon)

*Get the West African Dance Group & Capoeira academies involved: performance
or workshop (contact: Sandra Olsen)

*Dave King will have an extravagant puppet show/stand in front of the IMC
during the festival.

Areas to get involved with:

Seeking Sponsorship

Promotion/Design