[Imcamericorps] [Imc-bookkeeper] Security issues

Brian Duggan bcdugga at gmail.com
Fri Feb 18 17:49:26 CST 2011

Yeah, that's why I qualified my door lock policies with asking for
corrections. Thanks for asking, Jamie.

I, personally, feel that the basement doors should always be locked. The
Bike Project, BTP, and SDAS have a lot of open hours, it's true. I
understand it makes running an open session way easier. This is
something that the Makerspace and now the Help Desk has had to deal
with, too.

But none of these groups can realistically monitor the South and Elm
Street doors. It's just not physically possible, even for the most
vigilant observers. When these points of entry regularly directly lead
to harassment, threatening behavior, general unauthorized access, and
sometimes theft, I don't feel there are any other options.

What's left is figuring out how working groups deal with locked doors.
Keyed members can always get in. There's a doorbell for everyone else.
If no one can hear the doorbell, then that's the remaining core issue
that needs to be addressed.

Betsem regularly tells me about the behavior he deals with from youth
who enter the building unauthorized and after hours. It's a monthly, if
not weekly occurrence. I really want to find a way to make Betsem and
everyone else at the IMC safer.

Brian