[Imcamericorps] Saving AmeriCorps

Brian Duggan bcdugga at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 17:47:44 CST 2011

Hi All,

I really appreciated the guidelines Carol forwarded to this list last
week regarding AmeriCorps member involvement in political activity.
Thanks, Carol, that helped a lot. But what about issues surrounding the
future of the AmeriCorps program itself?

This past Saturday morning, the US House of Representatives voted to
defund AmeriCorps entirely. It has yet to be voted on in the Senate.
Let's imagine for a sec that this won't impact the remaining terms of
our contracts. I, for one, am not comfortable sitting idly by as the
benefits that Carol, Sam, Isak, Tina, Carl, Kristina, Leon, and myself
have worked so hard to bring to the IMC and our community are
systematically destroyed by freshman congresspeople with an illogical
and all-consuming hatred for the common good. Read about it here:

http://www.americorpsalums.org/?page=Act4AmeriCorps

In particular, can we start by signing this:

http://www.change.org/petitions/save-americorps?alert_id=NNHcGQVECl_VDToQBGsQq&me=aa

without repercussions from the program?

We're not allowed to stand in solidarity with other workers for their
rights. Are we allowed to stand up for ourselves?

Brian

--
Brian Duggan
Technical Projects Developer