[Imcamericorps] [IMC] [Btp-keystaff] Fwd: Steering Minutes & continuing counter-proposal re: downstairs security

Mike Lehman rebelmike at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 18 13:30:14 CDT 2011

Carol,
I appreciate the input. I do want to note that the solution to this
issue lies with all of us, not just a few.

Keeping the doors locked 24/7 or placing the entire burden of building
security on just a couple of groups is not going to get us to a solution
everyone can agree on. Just like locking the door after leaving it
unlocked and unsupervised for several hours doesn't provide better security.

We can't get a resolution here unless those who want the doors unlocked
can find an agreement with those who believe that locking 24/7 is the
solution. I've already made the point several times that locking 24/7 is
untenable, as noting the corresponding idea that no supervision is a
viable response is also a non-starter.

I've been pleased that both The Bike Project and Books to Prisoners have
recognized that there are bigger issues at play here and have been
making constructive proposals after initially taking the position that
they were already doing all that was possible, but so far there has been
no reply from those with concerns about security except yours. We need
to engage with alternative proposals, as we know that there is no
prospect of consensus on the extreme positions initially taken by both
sides.

This also brings up another issue that I know about, but haven't
addressed other than peripherally. We need to come to agreement between
groups operating under three different decision-making processes.

* The IMC, as a whole, which operates under consensus, as does BtP,
which is an IMC working group.
* The Bike Project, which doesn't need to operate under consensus,
because it's an IMC fiscally sponsored project, as well as a tenant,
although as a fiscally sponsored project is regarded as legally part of
the IMC as far as liability is concerned.
* Americorps, which operates under federal regulations and workplace
requirements.

Obviously, this means that we all must make the effort to work a little
outside our comfort zones. And it places me in a very difficult position
if we can't continue moving toward an agreed solution, as I have the
responsibility for making sure that these disparate groups work together
when issues of legal responsibility and liability come up. That is why I
insisted that there must be an agreement, although the shape of the
agreement could take many different shapes.

Given that I've already tendered my resignation, pending appointment of
a new UC IMC president, the only thing I have as a tool, other than
trying to facilitate a productive discussion, is to simply walk away
from the problem and let everyone else figure it out. I really don't
want to do that, especially when it seems we're still a distance apart
on a solution.

So if Americorps can't contribute to a jointly-staffed greeting
position, then there's a need for an alternative proposal from
Americorps that addresses the problem in another way, which observes the
fact that 24/7 locking is not going to work in addressing security in
the basement. I'd be glad to meet with Americorps (next staff meeting or
?) to discuss security concerns and try to formulate alternatives, just
as I've offered the same to TBP and BtP.
Mike Lehman