[Livingwage] living wage meeaating

Belden Fields a-fields at uiuc.edu
Tue Nov 11 16:00:24 CST 2003

Dear Living Wagers,

	the Living Wage meeting will be this Saturday at noon in the offices of
the Illinois Education Association.  I will not be able to make it because
of the memorial service for my deceased friend, Sara Douglas.  I assume
that there will be a continuation of the discussion of non-certified
employees of the school districts in this area.  But I would like to put
another item on the agenda.  That is the possibility of Wal-Mart coming to
Urbana.  Many of us took the position that given the desperate tax needs of
Urbana, we would not object to Wal-Mart's coming, but we did not want any
financial enticements to go tot he corporation.  Now that the extent of
Wal-Mart's horrible treatment of the people who clean their stores I wonder
if we should not:  (1) reinforce the previous position in a presentation to
the city council OR (2) oppose  this horrendous rights-violating
corporation's presence in our  community, (3) and/or organize pickets at
the stores already in this area and letters to the editor urging people top
boycott the stores?
Belden Fields