[Livingwage] Saturday meeting

Belden Fields a-fields at uiuc.edu
Sun Sep 10 20:00:13 CDT 2006

I am sorry that I will not be able to attend the meeting on
Saturday.  The one agenda item I would suggest, aside from 3rd party
candidates, is the proposal at the County Board Facilities Committee
to offer new hires in those position that were below Living Wage
before the policy took effect, lower than Living Wage wages.  They
would be based on a
family of 3 rather than 4.  Jen Kern of ACORN told me that there were
such Living Wage policies in existence, but Deb Busey, Administrator
for the Coubnty Board, checked on the Economic Policy Institute
website and found that as of 2001 or 2, both St. Louis and Milwaukee
had such policies.
That is out of over a hundred govt units with LW policies.  Whatever
they have I don't see how the county in good conscience can hire
people fora under $20,000/yr. which is what the 2.69 hourly for a
family of 4 comes to,
In other words, we need to fight this and to make it clear that if
they want to pass another referendum, it cannot be ont he backs of
the lowest paid workers.
Belden