[Makerspace-keymembers] We have Square!

Erich Heine sophacles at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 01:10:38 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I'm writing to inform you that we finally have a square account and square
card reader, and they work and everything!

Yesterday the reader arrived and I immediately ran some test transactions.
Tomorrow morning they will post to the IMC bank account, and Durl will see
how it works. After that we can start using them.

The next steps are to teach people how to use the square register. Anyone
with a smart phone or tablet that runs iOS or Android can run the square
register app, and I'll order some more readers for us, so we can just use
them.  The app is tied in with the Square servers, so nothing is stored on
your phone other than the app, and all transactions take place in the cloud
- so it is a secure system.

There is one thing I presume everyone will be OK with, but need to double
check:

Since the IMC financial information and bank accounts are tied to our
Square Account, I'd like to limit access to that stuff to the Finance
subcomittee, and provide what's called "staff access" to the rest. Staff access
allows everyone to charge and refund people, but doesn't allow staff to
change banking info nor change the "items for sale" (no big deal, because
we can enter the amount manually anyway).

Let me know what you all think about this plan.

The other thing is the Stripe account. This is also moving forward, however
setting that up at the same time as Square was getting a bit confusing with
the IMC, so I've postponed it temporarily until the Square system is fully
in place (thats now...). There are two options to make it live: the slow
option is letting me take my time and safely code up something that will
work for recurring payments, but first I have to learn about wordpress. I
really don't like this option, but its the only "free" way to do recurring
payments on wordpress right now. The other option is to purchase a plugin
for worpress. The plugin is cheap ($50is) and I have no problem donating
it, but want to double check that we are OK with that moving forward, as
upgrades to it may cost money in the future. The nice thing about buying
the plugin is I can have it set up fast - the only delay will be waiting
for the account verification process to go through the IMC.

Regards,
Erich