[Makerspace-keymembers] Fwd: Question of Citizenship and Makerspace

Erich Heine sophacles at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 15:09:39 UTC 2013

Community empowerment is disruptive.

Compare open source software - there was a time not too long ago when linux
was a toy and the common web servers and browers were all proprietary,
for-pay tools. Now the freaking internet runs on community developed
systems. Major powers that be have found it easier to just use the
community projects, contribute back, and release a large chunk of their
internal tools to the world rather than lock them away. The cynical will
say cynical things, but the result is "win for everyone" in terms of
available infrastructure tools.

If people want to focus on the anti-consumerism aspect, redirect with
economic arguments: it's merely market forces adjusting the landscape to
handle the fact that technology is prevalent and not some magic that must
be doled out carefully. Then circle back to empowerment as disruption,
closing the digital divide and most importantly the joy of making.  (use
people's biases against them I say :) )

Regards,
Erich

Sent from a fancy magic crystal that uses energy to resonate other crystals
all over the world.