[Makerspace-keymembers] [Imc-members] IMC Facebook Support

Jeffrey Putney quaker at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 12:47:17 EDT 2014

Hey Everyone,

Beth just asked a great question about our emails and social media, in
response to Rachel's email. In responding I realized this was all info the
entire group would probably benefit from or have input on so I'm cc'ing the
Keymember list. This is just my personal view on how I see that we use
these tools, so if you have other views or thoughts please share as well!

*>>first- what's the difference between our gmail and ucimc addresses?*

So the *Makerspaceu at gmail.com <Makerspaceu at gmail.com>* our main contact
address to the outside world and the account is accessible to multiple
members. Right now I think me and Stewart are the only people who check it
regularly and I'm the only person who has it auto forwarding to their
regular email account. Other key members have the password(Monica, Barry,
Erich... probably a few other I think) but I don't think many people use it
beyond things like creating an Etsy page or Square account for the space or
other things like that. So when messages come in for the group to
Makerspaceu at gmail.com I forward them to one of the two listserv emails
depending on if the topic seems like it's meant for organizing members or
anyone interested in the makerspace. I've mentioned this is the current
setup at a few membership meetings when the topic has come up (and that
others are welcome to also add their email to the forward list) and the
group has continued to agree that it's an good system for now.  Which
brings us to the second topic. The listserv emails!

So we have two lists we use for the space:
*imc-makerspace at lists.chambana.net <imc-makerspace at lists.chambana.net>* --
This has become where we announce events and things that anyone interested
in the makerspace might find interesting.  Some general discussion of
things also occurs here as well, so it's not just an announcement list.
*makerspace-keymembers at lists.chambana.net
<makerspace-keymembers at lists.chambana.net>* -- This list is possibly poorly
named. It includes both people with keys and just members who regularly
come to membership meetings and help organize, regardless if they hold keys
or not. This is where discussion and planning of space activities occurs.
The idea is we both don't want to spam everyone who signed up for our
mailing list with planning details of events and when we're making
decisions about financial matters and makerspace activities we want to keep
the discussion amongst just active members sometimes.

*>>second- do we have a social media point person, per this email?*

Not so much, so maybe it's easiest to break this down by outlet:
Facebook: I think in general me, Gergana, Monica, Colten or Emily makeing
sure event pages get created. Other then that all kinds of people post on
the page and it seems awesome.
MakerspaceUrbana.org: Get's occasional updates by me, Gergana, Monica,
Colten, Emily,or Jeff Harris. I think?
Twitter: Ok this one seems to be just me and perhaps Monica.
Meetup: Emily and Colten seem to create these events.
And if anyone else wants access to any of these outlets just let me know.
Crap... ok I might be the point person but I'll never admit it ;-). But
seriously I have told Rachel in the past she can contact me or Gergana
about social media stuff.

Hope that helped explain some things!
  Jeff

--