[Makerspace-keymembers] Manning Publications sponsorship

E.W. elliewix at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 15:56:18 EDT 2014

Hi all,

A rep from Manning Publications recently reached out to me via the Py-CU
meetup about possibly sponsoring Py-CU as part of a larger outreach effort.
 I just got off the phone with her as an information gathering meeting to
discuss what they could offer.  Their basic plan for other groups has been
to provide them with one book a month to raffle off to generate income.
 However, when I asked about the possibility of having them donate books to
seed a small library for the space she was completely on board with it.

She asked me to send her about 5 titles we would be interested in having
and she would send them to us right away.  They can be any title they
publish.  I told her I would run it by the keyholders and collect titles if
we want to accept the offer.

http://manning.com/

Are there any objections to this?  They are trying to get their books out
there and establish good will with groups like Py-CU (and Makerspace, when
I told her about it), and didn't have any advert requirements.

I also let her know about the Maker Fest and she is very interested in
having Manning sponsor it in all possible ways and assist with advertising
for the event.  I told her I would run the offer by the org group for the
fest and let you guys get in contact with her if interested.  Her name is
Candice and her email is cagi at manning.com.

Again, this was just an informational call with nothing agreed to.
 However, I'm really excited for it and think that this is a partnership
that could offer a lot for us in the future.

Elizabeth