[Makerspace-keymembers] Fwd: International Day of the Girl - Collaboration Opportunity

Jeffrey Putney quaker at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 20:29:28 EDT 2014

Sent from an android.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Erin Tarr" <benchmarkgirl at gmail.com>
Date: Jul 11, 2014 12:37 PM
Subject: International Day of the Girl - Collaboration Opportunity
To: <makerspaceu at gmail.com>

As the founder of *Be the Benchmark*, which exists to empower and encourage
young women to create lives of impact by becoming the leaders they were
born to be, I am reaching out to you and other local
organizations/businesses who are also interested in the development of the
next generation, for a potential collaboration for *International Day of
the Girl* on October 11, 2015.

The *Day of the Girl website (dayofthegirl.org <http://dayofthegirl.org>)*
provides the following background on the history and purpose of this day:

*Just two years ago, the UN declared October 11 as the International Day of
the Girl Child to raise awareness about all issues concerning gender
inequality around the world.  It’s a day when activist groups come together
under the same goal to highlight, discuss, and take action to advance
rights and opportunities for girls everywhere.*

*October 11 is not just a day; it’s a movement. A worldwide revolution.*

*We want ourselves, and girls everywhere, to be seen as equals, in the eyes
of others and in our own eyes.*

This day creates a unique opportunity for those of us in Champaign County
to reach out to girls (and their families) across the county and make them
aware of the many opportunities available to them throughout our community
to assist them in recognizing, fully leaning into, and finding ways to
express and grow their own awesomeness as a teen or tween girl.

The overall vision on this day would be to host a large scale event
co-hosted by several local organizations that would be free for young women
and their families. I am interested in holding an initial planning meeting
for interested parties (you or someone from your organization) of an
evening the week of July 20.  I have created a Doodle Poll
<http://doodle.com/5yv2sh89fs6mkzpk> to determine a time that would be most
accommodating for the organizations who have interest in potentially
organizing/participating.

Please take a moment to fill out the poll
<http://doodle.com/5yv2sh89fs6mkzpk> and/or email me
<benchmarkgirl at gmail.com?subject=International%20Day%20of%20the%20Girl>
with any questions, thoughts or ideas! I look forward to hearing from you
and working together on this excellent opportunity for our young girls!

Sincerely,

 Erin M. Tarr

Head Teen Coach

Be the Benchmark – www.erintarr.com

*Choose your thoughts, create your life, change the world.*