[Makerspace-keymembers] Fwd: Two University Projects for Makerspace Urbana Pros

Jeffrey Putney quaker at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 16:26:03 UTC 2014

Interesting opportunities:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Nelson, Jamie A <jamien at illinois.edu>
Date: Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 10:08 AM
Subject: Two University Projects for Makerspace Urbana Pros
To: "makerspaceu at gmail.com" <makerspaceu at gmail.com>

 Hello,

I work at the University in an Emerging Technologies group which is a part
of CITES Academic Technology Services. I am involved in two projects that
would benefit from the participation of a few key members from the
Makerspace Urbana. I have been in conversations with Illinois
MakerLab<http://makerlab.illinois.edu/>(whom have agreed to help) and
have contacted CU
Fab Lab <http://cucfablab.org/> <https://makerspaceurbana.org/>, as well.

1.       *Panel on Makerspaces:* I am involved in an event entitled Faculty
Summer Institute <http://go.illinois.edu/facultysummerinstitute> scheduled
for May 19-21, 2014 at the iHotel. This conference centers around teaching
and learning with technology. I would like to submit a  proposal (50
minutes) for a panel on the maker movement at the University and our
community. Unfortunately, the proposal deadline is this Friday (however, it
may be extended a week). I would be happy to include a member or two from
the Makerspace Urbana as a part of the panel. I am gauging interest in the
topic and seeking a commitment before I submit a proposal on the panel's
behalf. Would anyone be interested?

2.       *Illinois Emerging Technologies Report:* Our group is preparing a
report entitled the Illinois Emerging Technologies
Report<http://blogs.cites.illinois.edu/cites-ats/2013/11/04/announcing-the-illinois-emerging-tech-report/>.
This report which will be similar to the New Media Consortium's Horizon
Report <http://www.nmc.org/horizon-project>, but focused on educational
technologies that are emerging at the University of Illinois. The maker
movement will be included. I was hoping to get a tour of your facility and
be linked with a contact that would be interested in contributing to the
report/answering questions. We will be wrapping up the report in early
summer.

I would appreciate any help that you may have to offer.

Sincerely,

*Jamie A. Nelson*, MS Ed

Senior eLearning Professional

CITES Academic Technology Services
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign

2314 Digital Computer Laboratory | MC 256

1304 West Springfield Avenue | Urbana IL 61801

phone 217.333.8345 | email jamien at illinois.edu

www.illinois.edu/person/jamien

[image: facebook] <http://www.facebook.com/wicked13>.[image:
twitter]<http://twitter.com/wickedthirteen>
.[image: linkedin] <http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jamie-nelson/31/8b2/201/>

*"Under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), any written
communication to or from University employees regarding University business
is a public record and may be subject to public disclosure."*

Yes, I am a maker, too.

--
Jeffrey Putney
Senior Software Engineer