[Makerspace-keymembers] Fwd: Invitation to be a Community Partner in a Grant Application

Jeffrey Putney quaker at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 22:46:45 UTC 2014

Very interesting. See below.

Sent from an android.
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Zonghe Chua" <chuazh at gmail.com>
Date: Mar 10, 2014 5:44 PM
Subject: Invitation to be a Community Partner in a Grant Application
To: <makerspaceu at gmail.com>
Cc: "Sanny Lin (DFA at UIUC)" <uiuc+sanny at designforamerica.com>, "Julian
Bongiorno" <julian at designforamerica.com>

Dear Sir/Mdm,

I am Zonghe a studio lead from Design for America (DFA) UIUC.
DFA<http://designforamerica.com/>is a network of student run design
studios that seek to use human centered
design to solve problems within the community. A faculty member from the
Department of Computer Science , Karrie
Karahalios<http://social.cs.uiuc.edu/people/kkarahal.html>has
recommended we apply for University of Illinois Public Engagement
Grant
$1500 grant to use design as an outreach tool to the community. She has
volunteered to be our faculty advisor. However, I was notified of this just
today and the deadline is this* Friday* *3/14*. However, I think that we
can make this work if we act fast.

What we are proposing is a series of workshops from DFA to teach
human-centered design methodologies to the members of Makerspace Urbana.
The $1500 will be used to bring in design thinking speakers, host workshops
base on design thinking processes and will be geared towards making novel
inventions and hacks to tackle contemporary social issues within the
community and beyond. We are thinking also partnering experienced DFAers to
co-collaborate in these projects.

Do let me know if this is something your organization would be interested
in doing if so, I will send you my proposal to review by Wednesday night

Regards,
Zonghe Chua
Mechanical Engineering | University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign 2015
Studio Lead | Design for America UIUC