[Makerspace-keymembers] Fwd: Illini Gadget Garage--Potential Collaboration

Jeffrey Putney quaker at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 20:11:53 EDT 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Joy Scrogum <jscrogum at illinois.edu>
Date: Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 4:36 PM
Subject: Illini Gadget Garage--Potential Collaboration
To: makerspaceu at gmail.com
Cc: William Bullock <wbullock at illinois.edu>, knox at illinois.edu

Hello, Makers. My name is Joy Scrogum, and I work with the technical
assistance and public engagement groups at the Illinois Sustainable
Technology Center on the UIUC campus. As part of ISTC's Sustainable
Electronics Initiative (SEI), I'm submitting a Step 2 application to the
Student Sustainability Committee for seed funding to launch an electronics
repair center on campus, which would allow students and staff to have minor
repairs done on their personal electronic devices to extend their useful
life. I want the center, which I'm calling the Illini Gadget Garage, to be
more than a just a service center, but also a learning space. On the one
hand I want students in special topics courses at UI to become involved in
performing repairs, and when possible, writing online guides as part of
iFixit's Technical Writing program, to help folks who visit iFixit's web
site to service their own equipment. But I'd also really like to create an
opportunity for people who bring in their devices to participate in the
repair themselves, if they are comfortable with that and have the time to
do so. I recognize that this is similar to what you all have done with your
computer help desk. I think there's potential for collaboration between
MakerSpace Urbana and the Illini Gadget Garage, provided the Gadget Garage
receives funding. We could post information about MakerSpace in the Gadget
Garage and promote it to campus community members, and if non-UI students
or staff contacted the Garage, we could let them know about your computer
help desk and its hours.I also think it would be great if the experienced
volunteers who work on your computer help desk could interact with UI
students who become involved with performing the repairs at the Gadget
Garage, helping them learn and providing tips on how they can be effective
in the art of collaborative repair. Perhaps I could budget for some
workshops involving MakerSpace representatives for the student repair
center workers, or guest lectures in a special topics course.

I've attached the text from the Step 1 application for the Illini Gadget
Garage to help give you more of a feel for the idea. Right now, I'm
thinking that in the Step 2 application I'll propose that students or staff
could drop off electronics for an assessment and repair for a small fee.
This would allow folks with busy schedules to try repair before
replacement. But I think it would also be great to say that if people
wanted to participate in the assessment and repair of their device, the
service would be free, with a donation suggested.

I'm hoping to get as many campus and community members interested in
getting the Gadget Garage started as possible, and want to show the SSC
that there is wide support for this sort of center on campus. Would
MakerSpace consider writing a support letter to go along with the Step 2
application I'll submit (due at the end of this month)?

I'd love to answer any questions you have and speak with you more about
potential collaboration, at your convenience.

Thanks in advance for your consideration,
Joy Scrogum