[Makerspace-keymembers] fidget quilts community service project

Amy Williams miss.awilliams at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 13:58:11 EST 2016

Hello All,

I was introduced to the concept of a "fidget quilt" this weekend and it
struck me as a good fit for Makerspace. Fidget quilts are small blankets
with tactile elements for elderly patients with dementia or alzheimers. It
gives them something to keep their hands busy- particularly useful for
people who experience sundowning.

Maybe we could partner with a local elder care center or caregiver support
group and make some of these blankets? Either as a workshop or an ongoing
project. I would be happy to reach out to potential partners and manage
logistics, but would definitely need help from the more experienced sewing
folks to create patterns and run the workshop.

This doesn't need to be an immediate project, since we are all busy with
other community service projects right now, but I wanted to get it on
people's radar. Can we put this on the agenda for the next membership
meeting?

More information here:
http://www.free-alzheimers-support.com/wordpress/alzheimers-fidget-quilts-for-sale-online/
http://www.yumasun.com/features/fidget-quilts-help-soothe-nerves-of-alzheimer-s-patients/article_659b66c6-921d-11e4-a564-93a72ab9c95b.html