[Newspoetry] assignments (re David's note)

Mark Enslin enslin at prairienet.org
Wed Jun 14 14:25:05 CDT 2000

here's a response to David's request for assignments.

two assignments I've been stuck on (not to say infatuated with) for a
while: 1. create hybrids of established poetic forms (in the instance
below, villanelle (aba aba aba aba aba abaa, repeat line 1 as 6, 12,
18, line 3 as 9, 15, 19) and psapphic ode (syllables: 11, 11, 11, 5; I
think there might be some standard emphasis pattern, which I
disregarded))(your note/poem was sort of a hybrid of confessional and
political poetry).

2. make non-rhyming versions of usually rhymed forms (I did start off with
a rhymed version of this villanelle, which was awful not only for the
forced rhymes but also for the steady beat).

I guess another assignment is to try to come up with clear statements
about politically ambiguous or complex situations.

UNION BOYCOTTS BOSS

Patrolmen's Benevolent Assn: Bygones
Black Law Enforcement Who Care call on Black artists
poet calls for beatless, bulletless rock, cops

wounds opened; called old
survivors: extend work stoppage, remember
Patrolmen's Benevolent Assn: Bygones

Madison Avenue, Square Garden to merge
rock star sings of shots
poet calls for beatless, bulletless rock, cops

June 12, 4700, fragment found
in stuffed crocodile, Sappho connection probed
"men's Benevolent"

lone phrase thought to be part of longer poem
BLEWC supports Springsteen
poet calls for beatless, bulletless rock, cops

jobs more difficult
of whom, what are slain cops' families victim