[Newspoetry] Bamboozled

Bill Wendling wendling at ganymede.isdn.uiuc.edu
Wed Nov 15 14:15:55 CST 2000

Sorry if this is not pertinent to non-CU people.

After removing the movie Bamboozled, a look at how African-Americans are
portrayed in entertainment today by Spike Lee, after playing for one
week, the Savoy 16 is bringing it back for two nights. Local students
protested at the theater since the show was poorly marketted and, when
500 people showed up to watch last week, were mostly unable to see it
since the movie was playing in a smaller theater. The Savoy 16 reaction to
the African-American students was rather insulting. They refused to
accomodate their desires giving various dubious reasons why they couldn't
show the movie later and in a bigger theater and called the police
eventhough their protest was peaceful.

I've heard some good things about the movie and was disappointed to find
that it had left the theaters so soon. I'm planning on seeing it probably
tonight but if it's sold out then tomorrow.

If people are interested, we could gather and go. The showtimes are
following:

			7 & 9:30 Nov 15th and 16th