[OccupyCU] hiya! OccupyCU mailing list, and some upcoming events

Stuart Levy salevy at illinois.edu
Wed Feb 1 18:44:42 CST 2012

Hey all, welcome to the OccupyCU mailing list!   Thanks to the IMC for
hosting it and Chris Ritzo for setting it up.

Some upcoming events first (mostly gathered from the facebook page), and
then more about this list...

    2/3 Fri 6:00-9:00pm  Champaign Public Library room "A"
        OccupyCU GA meeting

    2/4 Sat 12:30pm   Guido's Bar & Grill, Main & Neil, downtown Champaign
         Occupy Lunch!  before the afternoon's demonstration.   I think
Melanie suggested this at last week's demo.

    2/4 Sat 2:00-4:00pm  Main & Neil, downtown Champaign
         Weekly Occupy a Street Corner.  Concurrent with AWARE's monthly
antiwar demo,
         and with a national call to action to stop war against Iran,
from worldcantwait.net <http://worldcantwait.net/> and others...

    2/4 Sat noon-3pm WEFT-FM 90.1l
         Occupy the Air - Matt Murphy, Sean Seckler, ... weekly radio
program

    2/6 Mon 7:30-9pm  IMC (202 S. Broadway, Urbana), SDAS room in
basement (from Elm St, walk down the small stairs)
         OccupyCU Outreach committee meeting

    2/8 Wed 7pm  Esquire bar, 106 N Walnut (Walnut & University),
downtown Champaign
         Monthly social gathering -
         Let's get together for fun and friendship while discussing
politics, activism and the occupy movement!

<mailto:occupyCU at lists.chambana.net>

Who's on here?   I think everyone who was on Ya'aqov's list; some who'd
attended past events and signed onto the list Matt Murphy's been
keeping; and others who visited for last weekend's Truck Stop.   64 of
us at the moment.  Invite your friends to join too.

All messages are archived, but the archives aren't visible to google -
you have to be a subscriber to the list to see them.  To view past
messages, sign in to the list information page (in the "OccupyCU
Subscribers" section near the bottom):
with your e-mail address and the password you were sent when you signed
up.  (If you lose the password, enter your e-mail address next to the
"Unsubscribe or edit options" button and ask for it to remind you by
e-mail of what your password is.)
What's this list for?   Anything we want... Announcements, events,
meeting minutes, questions, discussions of what we think the group
should be up to, news from other Occupy groups...

If the traffic gets heavy at times, things we might do -

   - Switch to "digest mode" -- instead of receiving every message
individually, you'll get them in daily batches.
      You can write me if you'd rather receive them this way, or,
      each of us can set or un-set this for themselves via the list web
page,
http://lists.chambana.net/mailman/listinfo/occupycu
      See the "*Unsubscribe or edit options*" button at the bottom of
the page.  Fill in your e-mail address and press it.  You'll be prompted
for the password (which was emailed to you when you joined the list) or
it can send it to you again.

   - If there's a fierce discussion that you don't want to be part of,
you could invite the participants to discuss it off-list.

   - Just live with it for a while.  There's a lot to be said for this.

Anyway, happy organizing.

    Stuart