[OccupyCU] Fwd: [cchcc-l] Supreme Court upholds health reform!

Colan Holmes colanholmes at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 23:53:01 UTC 2012

The next logical step, in my opinion, would be to gather and push for
Medicare-for-All. Bernie Sanders and the National Nurses United (NNU) are
already organizing in this direction:

http://www.thenation.com/blog/168649/sanders-nurses-sc-ruling-cool-we-still-need-medicare-all

I feel this is necessary because I do not trust that the healthcare
cooperatives, to be established in 2014, will provide the competition
necessary to drive down costs (especially with the influx of buyers whom
will be provided assistance to pay for insurance). The market's equilibrium
always tends to an average that excludes some buyers. While the
cooperatives are certainly necessary to keep costs from spiking abruptly, I
think we have a long-term need here.

We also have an opportunity. First, many more people will be able to use
Medicaid and I think a lot of people mandated to buy insurance could find
that attractive. The same people receiving assistance to buy insurance on
the exchanges (with incomes between $30,000-80,000/year, depending on
family size) may know many of these people and the idea of a public option
is worth advocating. Also, I don't know about you, but if I supported the
Act and have to buy insurance now, I sure as heck don't want to buy it from
"my enemy" the health insurance company.

So, I support the next step of a Medicare-for-All public option, the
non-profit alternative that I am confident will save me money.

When that's done, we are another step closer to single-payer, and all that
entails.

Info Graphic on the ACA:
http://www.commonwealthfund.org/Health-Reform/~/media/Files/Publications/Other/2010/CMWF_Overview_Timeline_20102018.pdf

-Chandler